Premed 101 Forums

Pre-med vs Bachelors

Guest Steppach

Guest Steppach

Hi,

I'm currently in my first year studies at a canadian university. I'm pursuing my dreams of becoming a doctor when I get older. What I was wondering was if it would be easier for me to go to pre-med and then med school? Or just finish my bachelors in science and then go to med school?

I wanna know if by going to premed I would have an advantage in getting into med school or is it just the same doing my bachelors?

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I'm not sure what you mean by "premed" but there is technically no such program in Canada. However, if by "premed" you mean curriculae which are more clinically oriented, e.g., Bachelor of Health Science programs, then it's irrelevant. Medical schools generally do not take into consideration the undergraduate program that applicants complete. What is more important are the grades that you achieve in the courses you complete, including pre-requisite courses stipulated by the medical school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest cracked30

Most, if not all schools in Canada expect a four year honours degree now. Or at least this is the standard of applicants. The major doesn't matter, but since many residency programs and fellowships are suggesting a masters degree too as part of training, you will need a four year degree. This is what is currently being discussed at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons.

Guest muchdutch
Most, if not all schools in Canada expect a four year honours degree now

I thought this was maybe just one school - Western, no? If not, how many others require it?

Guest quebecboy

Hmmm, neither of the 4 Quebec schools require a 4 year degree (and last time I checked, Quebec was in Canada....)

Quebecboy

Guest muchdutch

Neither does u of A, UBC, U of C, U of S, and U of M as far as I know. Doesn't this list also include U of T, Mac, Dal, etc.?

Now that I think about it, isn't Western the only school that requires this?

Although I can see why they would be considering changing the standards with more and more people getting better grades (grade inflation as discussed in other topics??) and more people applying year after year.

Archived