Premed 101 Forums

Immunizations for others in your family.

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

So I'm getting ready to get some uptodate pokes for school.

I'm thinking that my child is up to date except for Hep(somehow the permission slip to have it done at school was "lost") so we are going to do that together, fantastic bonding time through "trauma". But my significant other's arm has not seen a needle since the 80's. My question is, other than the routine tetanus booster( which is recommended every 10 yrs or so) should other immediate family members have up to date innoculations for anything else??

Last thing I want to do in unknowingly infect them with measles because their immunity wore off or something like that.....

Guest satsumargirl

Medical schools don`t ask for your family's immunization status. So you can go with the advice of your family doc as to whatever is standard.

Vaccines have changed over the years. When I started school I had to get an extra vaccination for something (I don`t recall what!) since back when I got it it didn`t last as long as the current ones do etc.. So best to ask your doc.

But your family doesn`t require anything "special" just b/c you are in medical school. But they should be current on their shots in general :)

Sats

Archived