Premed 101 Forums

Non-trad preference for shorter programs?

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Hi all,

I've never been quite sure if I fit the non-traditional bill or not. I'm turning 28 this year, and have only recently decided to aim for med school (2nd year applying). I've been working full time research lab jobs for about 4 years since undergrad (basically doing masters/phd work without paying for or earning a degree, and getting paid more than I would if I were). I wrote the MCAT 3 years ago after an intense summer of evening and week-end studying, and have been picking up evening courses to fill English and stat prereq requirements. I am married, have a 2 year old boy, and am expecting (my wife that is) again in June. I'm not exactly switching careers mid-life, but I'm also not exactly a fresh grad with little 'beyond school' experience.

Anyway,

I'm just curious how many of you who are a little further on in life are leaning heavily towards schools like Calgary with a shorter program. I live in Calgary, and that is my first choice, largely because it is only 3 years. I feel very much that I would prefer to get it done as quickly as possible, and won't mind the short vacation breaks, since that is what work is like anyway. Shorter time till a real income, and shorter time living on loans looks nice to me. I would still be happy in a traditional 4 year program, and might like the extra time to figure out what specialty I would prefer, but I can't stand the thought of getting another 4 month summer job. Ugh - just the thought... probably because that is so recently all I did between semesters.

Anyway, just curious as to what others think about the matter.

Guest northerndoc

Hi,

The three year vs. four year program was a question that I faced and struggled with a bit. The idea of getting it "done and over with" is one approach, the other is that extra year of school is a good time to learn and there is a bit more time spent on different areas. As for the four month summer holiday, that isn't standard across the schools... The med school that I am at is four years in length, we have 12 weeks between 1st and second year, 12 weeks between second and third and that is the end of the summer vacations, with only a small lapse of time between third and fourth year. These summer breaks are a good time to do electives, get clinical experience, try out what they have been talking about it books. As someone in the "real" world, you can appreciate the disparity between books and life, for example no matter how may times you read the chapter on heart sounds and abnormalities, til you hear a S3 you are far from the expert. This is where summer comes into play... What I recommend after all this, is what works with your life... and where do you get in... reality is it would be great to be able to say "I am going to this med school" and it work out right away... there is the possibility of not getting into a 3 year program or applying for several consecutive years. I know this is the pessimistic side of me showing.. but just want you to keep the options open. Check it all out... even better for the extra money of applying, make the decision after accepted.... Lots of rambling, but wishing you all the luck, no matter three or four years, it is all worth it in the end!!

Guest NurseNathalie

Last year, I was accepted into a 4 year program- and a 3 year program. One of the major deciding factors for me, was the shorter program (mainly because of the reasons you mentioned yourself).

Med school is very expensive- especially when adding into the equation the fact that our income is now gone! Being able to practice a year sooner was a good selling point too. If I didn't have a family, my decision may have been different.

At our program, we are introduced to patients the first month of medical school. As Northerndoc said, its very important to get to 'apply' what you are learning, because it 'cements' it into your memory. You can either concentrate that experience into the summer months that you have off- or you can work through the year (we get 1 week off in the summer) and have the opportunity for horizontal electives throughout the program.

one is not better than the other... you have to find the program that fits you best. ;)

Guest satsumargirl

Hey there,

Obvioulsy you have to figure out what works for you.

But I can say that I am pretty happy that I have a break this summer and next. I am in first year at U Ottawa, and I can say so far we have not yet had a real break....block exam after Thanksgiving weekend, 2 PBLs over x-mas break and an exam 2 weeks after being back. None of us feel particularly rested right now.

I do not have kids. I completely understand that having them would encourage you to want to get med school "over with". But you will be pretty busy for those 3 years. Having a break at the beginning of med school in a 4 year program (you don`t get summers off in clerkship) could allow you to spend some "quality time" with your kids. So if I had kids, and wasn`t financially stressed out ( eg. partner able to support family while in school) I would probably tend to pick a 4 year program for that reason.

I guess it is why I picked a 4 year program anyway. I decided that I would not view med school as something to "get over with" but try and just enjoy the process. And summers do give you time to explore specialties etc.. that you may be interested in. Here at Ottawa we are exposed to patients from the first few weeks...but it is in a family practice setting (which is great for developping interview and basic physical exam skills cause you are exposed to a broad range of things). But to get a taste for specialties it is best to do electives in those areas. I have managed to do 2 electives this year. But if I had kids then I would probably prefer to spend my time with them and would appreciate the few weeks in the summer to explore. Of course...you may already know exactly what you want to do (though it could change).

So there you go...I chose 4 years cause I prefered to enjoy the experience and not feel rushed. I think if I had kids that would make me value a bit of time off even more.

Guest NurseNathalie

last comment! :P

It really depends on what you are like... I really enjoy the pace of the 3 year program. There is still time for electives and great experiences! The prime goal is not really to 'hurry' to get through the program to get to work (not just from a financial point) ... but lets face it, being able to work and get to fulfill my lifetime goal - a year sooner - IS a great motivator of course!

Working in an underserviced area for years as a nurse- I haven't had a summer vacation (more than a week) in about 13 years... so not having the summer off isn't a big deal- and I'll still get a lot of time with my kids! :)

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Thanks for the input - some support for each side, which is what I expected to see. I guess I'll just wait to see if I need to make a choice, but from here I think I lean to the 3 year still.

Archived