Premed 101 Forums

Just saying my hellos.

Guest scrubs34

Guest scrubs34

Hello there,

I am in the process of contemplating a career in medicine and found this place to be a wonderful source of information. So first and foremost: Thank you for this resource!

With that said, I feel it be most appropriate to introduce myself and my situation. In summary: post-highschool, I took some courses at a local college originally hoping to complete a transfer program which would eventually lead to a degree in psychology (BA at the University of Calgary). However, due to my own lack of maturity (and being forced into post-secomdary prematurely by my otherwise great parents), I felt out of place and did not do well at all during my first year. After the realization that I was going nowhere, I took an entire year off and did some travelling back home (the Philippines). During that time I rekindled the desire within me to persue higher education. After further contemplation (and long talks with my family), I decided that a career in health is definitely for me. Once I returned to Calgary, I began the search for "my place" in the vast field of health. I started volunteering at AIDS Calgary (a local AIDS Awareness Association) dealing with high-risk youth, at the Calgary Public Library reading to younger kids and working at a local hospital as a Dietary Aide. I also began to take courses at the University of Calgary in the hopes of finding my passion. The prospect of becoming a doctor was still far from my thoughts. As a matter of fact I think I considered every other option within the health sciences: from pharmacy, to nursing, and even back to psychology! It wasn't until I started to gain valuable insight in the role of doctors (through personal interaction in the hospital where I worked) that the idea of becoming one myself found it's way into my mind. I had found my drive but still had no place to start. A single search on Google led me to this site and from here I've planned out various paths into medical school by taking courses that I have great interest in! With all that said, by 2007 I will be enrolled in a four year degree program in either Kinesiology (BSc in General Kinesiology) or Sociology (BA in Sociology). With enough focus and dedication, hopefully I can make the "cut" into medical school.

Whew! That was a long one. Anyways, if you fell asleep reading the above .. or just skipped straight to the bottom - I'd just like to reiterate my original point: Thank you for providing this resource! It's helped me greatly not in only discovering where my interests are, but also in helping me find structure in what would otherwise be a rather chaotic time in my life.

8o

Archived