Premed 101 Forums

Thank you!

Guest happy2bme

Hi Scarlett,

They are Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Nova Scotia. See:

www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp...ligibility

Also, I emailed residency directors for programs in BC and Alberta which interest me to ask about if it would lessen my chances if I did my MD in the US. The overwhelming answer was no. However they did recommend that I come up to do some electives with them in 4th year. This is not a problem as US schools allow you to do this.

I can’t emphasize enough the value that US schools place on life experience compared to Canada where things are very GPA-centric. I have been rejected so far from UofC, UofO & Western pre-interview, but got interviews at Stanford, Harvard, WashU & Columbia which get 2-3 times the no. of applications as the schools in Canada where I've been given the axe.

In my opinion I like the US model better as this makes for a much more interesting and diverse class (though I might feel different if my GPA was higher ).:\

Guest viswaka

If the posts on this and the previous page are any indication, imagine the class make-up. Education, age and experiences all over the place. Must make for some interesting conversations!

Guest 24medgirl
Well then you are very lucky because you'd get American financial aid. Also, the University of Pennsylvania offers several FULL scholarships .

I really hope things work out for you this year, but if not things to keep in mind for next year are that if you go to the US you can come straight back to Canada and do residency as if you've never left (for all but 3 provinces).

If you went to Ireland you'd be consider an IMG and things are supremely more difficult if you want to come back.

Thanks so much for the helpful comments. Much apreciated.

Guest anatomist

Aren't the funding options a little limited for med school in the states?

Essentially OSAP - MD Management's LOC is for canadian schools (I believe?), and all of the whopping US loans/grants are for citizens.

That's to the best of my knowledge - I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

Cheers,

Kevin

Yes - in general they are limited. And tuition is much higher. However some schools provide huge need-based bursaries which Canadians are able to get. Harvard and Stanford pay you to the tune of 12K/semester to do research (and Harvard throws in a $800/month stipend). The full scholarships at WashU and UPenn are available to Canadians. I know of one Canadian in particular who was snubbed from every school in Canada but got the full scholarship to WashU.

But this is getting off track from the point of this thread - which is that from what I've read there are loads of very amazing non-traditional students out there who will make excellent doctors. Some of you are struggling to get in in Canada due to the Canadian love of GPA. I suggest try the US as well and see what happens.

Hi everyone I think i probably belong on this board as well.

I am only 24(25 this march),

First off as my name suggests I am a mom! I have a beautiful four month old little girl. Her father and I met in early in university and are going to be married this year. I have a BScKin cumulative gpa of 3.9, prior to studying kines I was a music student at a community college for a few years unfortunately music at a proffessional level wasn't my thing and I got poor grades bringing my entire post secondary gpa down to between 3.4 & 3.5.

I think my extracurriculars are just plain average, I worked in a summer school and taught music lessons, volunteered at arec center,AIDS New Brunswick and a hospital, I was a resident advisor in university, and I worked as a research assistant for a prof. I have an article that I co authored with another student that is currently in review, I really hope it gets published. I haven't worked since university since I have been pregnant and taking care of my little one, but I am going to be volunteering at the ymca this year.

I did not take physics (i did my honors in biomechanics though) or organic chemistry at university, so I have to learn them on my own for the mcat, my fiance is an engineer so I am hoping he can help me with the physics, and I am going to take the princeton review course in May, and write this august. I was born in BC but went to uni in the maritimes and my fiance is from nova scotia so I am really hoping Dal will consider me a maritime resident as that school is my number one choice. I am also planning to apply MUN, UWO, Calgary, Mac, NOSM, provided I do well enough on the mcat to make the cutoffs at western and calgary.

I am both excited and scared to be starting this process. I have wanted to be a doc since I went back to university four years ago and for whatever reason I never had the confidence to actually bite the bullet and write the mcat, and since I knew i wouldn't be going directly after university I had an excuse to put it off. Now that its time to buckle down and study I am feeling good.

Best of luck to everyone, and I look forward to frequenting this board.

Sarah

Archived