Premed 101 Forums

Ethics question

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

You're a military doctor serving your country in a far-off land.

You and your brigade come across enemy fire and one of your men goes down. He dies instantly.

You defeat your enemy and find that some them are still alive.

Do you treat them? Would you offer them the same qualtiy of healthcare that you would give your own troops?

Would you risk being jeered or ostracized for helping someone who has just killed one of your countrymen?

Guest UBClebronjames

of course you should treat...

there have been many documented times in the history of war that medical doctors and healers of all sorts have tended to the wounds of the enemy. If you believe that what you are fighting for is juste I don't see how you couldn't help.

case in point: IRAQ

I read an article in the paper about an Iraqi POW that received abdominal surgery by US military docs...

I absolutely believe you should and hopefully would provide medical attention to someone in this case. After all, one of the basic characteristics of a good physician is someone who is non-judgemental. As long as it didn't require you putting your own safety at risk, I think the enemy soldier is as deserving of medical attention as your own soldiers...

that's just my 2 cents though!

Guest physiology

Yah - ssup, I did read that in the national post. I just thought it was so thought-provoking.

One of the American congressmen, who happens to bea surgeon (forget his name, he helped paramedics insert breathing tubes into car accident victims in Florida and used to sharpen his surgical skills using live cats), gave medical attention to a gunmen who opened fire on Capitol Hill a couple of years ago.

Archived