Premed 101 Forums

rejection letter

Guest GI Jenie

Guest GI Jenie

According to the admissions office, rejection letters were sent out last Thursday. I haven't received any letter yet, nor a phone call, so I'm a little lost. Is there anybody out there that has recieved a rejection letter? If so, when did you receive it?

GI Jenie

Guest Orangelifesaver

hi,

i received one today:\ i'm an in provinve applicant.

it was dated march 5th..........for bc residents, you needed 33/50 to get an interview and for oop applicants 40/50

the only thing that really caught me by surprise is how low my

extracurriculars were marked

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the grotty envelope Orangelifesaver. I hope you've managed to cheer up a wee bit since receiving it. :)

As to the cut-offs for this year--very interesting! I believe, in at least one year previous, the out of province cut-off was 42. Och well.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest KatieKat

I finally received my rejection letter today also! I'm in province and guys, this is so painful. I scored 32.5/50! Missing an interview by 0.5 points? Insane, but I guess someone has to be just below the cutoff point... ;)

Guest Orangelifesaver

being a first time applicant i guess i was prepared for the rejection. i dunno, since i received it i've only felt relieved to some extent - no more stressing and worrying about whether i'll get an interview or not, etc. etc. i guess i was leaving things on hold and now i can plunge into whatever i want for the coming year:D

but now as the day goes on, i'm not too happy!

anyways, to all those that have applied in subsequent years, were you able to increase your competitiveness? the way i see it, i've only got from now till sept. to do something that will increase my marks in both the academic and non academic parts. doesn't really seem like a whole lot of time...

any insight?

btw, katiekat, you may want to contact admissions - see if they made an error in adding up your scores ;)

Last year I applied as a 3rd year applicant and did not get an interview. This year I received an interview. Not much changed in my academics (I only improved my average about 1%) and I didn't do any extra non-academic activities, just did the same ones I've always done. My best advice would be to make an appointment with the admissions office and they will provide feedback about how to make yourself more competitive. They have certain categories that they mark for the non-academic score and if you know what they are, you may realize some of the things you left off your application this year may have helped in those areas. For instance, I didn't realize that travel was so important and I didn't mention much about it last year, but this year I listed all of my travel experiences.

Anyway, good luck on your future applications!

JC

Guest BCgirl

Hey guys,

Sorry about the rejections, that sucks :(

I applied to UBC last year (3rd year applicant) and interviewed. I was rejected in the end, but I got some good feedback from the advising session. One of the things that I found out was that the non-academic score is based on 5 things:

1. Leadership

2. Service ethic

3. Capacity to work with others

4. Diversity of experience

5. High level of performance

They're each scored out of 5. If you reapply to UBC, you should probably keep these in mind when writing your essay and filling out your ec sheet. I didn't reapply this year, but I think it would be in your best interest to really try to highlight all of those categories... I didn't and my non-academic score reflected that. For example, I only scored 1/5 on leadership (which came from one of my volunteer positions), however, I've had a bunch of leadership stuff in jobs that I've had, so I don't think my score reflected the actual amount of leadership experience I've had... but I didn't write about the leadership part of my jobs. Make it easy for them to see your achievements in those 5 areas and hopefully it'll help next time.

Good luck :)

Guest PARTY cal

Hi,

Have all the rejection letters been sent out? I have not received anything yet. I called the office in the beginning of March and they said all letters would be out by March 5...should I give them a call?

Guest oogachukka

Or maybe your applications are sitting on the "To call" pile. UBC has been having problems with job action, right? So perhaps they're just behind on calling people :P

As long as you haven't gotten the rejection letter, there's always hope so don't give up guys!

Alright alright, I'm SOOOO late for class now...off to...UBC I go! :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I finally received my letter (and a little closure :P ) today. I really like the fact that UBC gives you your evaluation scores. Man it's killer in some regards though as I was sooooo close this year, ouch! (39/50, and an out of province invitation is 40/50.)

Given that I'm already thinking about next year's application, I had a question for UBC, the answer of which may be of interest to some of you. My question was surrounding the academic assessment of UofT graduate transcripts that contain letter grades as opposed to numerical grades. UBC approach this in an interesting way: apparently a scale was devised for processing UofT transcripts. How it works is that the overall GPA for letter graded-courses is averaged, based on the UofT 4.0 scale. UBC then takes that overall GPA (on the 4.0 scale) and uses their special scale to provide an overall mark for that bank of courses. So, for example, if you scored a 3.80 on all of your UofT graduate credits (according to the UofT scale) then you would receive 86% for all of those credits in the UBC academic assessment process.

Good luck everyone else!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest not rex morgan

Kirsteen. I'm sorry to hear about the letter. One point off...that's really too bad. I know you have talked about all of the wonderful things you had lined up in the event that you didn't get in. You sound like you have a great attitude. It's still a drag. My condolences.

Guest dangrrgrrl

Looks like the UBC Med "update board" has been...well...updated. They say that letters of regret have been sent out BUT also that all interviews have been scheduled...hmmm...

Happy Tuesday!

Guest iamsmilingbear

Hey all

I got a rejection letter too...as disappointing as it is, my score is 40/50!!!

I was wondering, would you guys think I can appeal for an interview or something? It sounds like the chance is remote, cuz they already said "borderline cases were re-reviewed". But...is it still possible?

Thanks for your response!

By the way, good luck to u all who have interviews! I'm going to ottawa on thursday! Starting to get nervous again......

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there notrexmorgan,

Thanks for your condolences. :) I already knew to expect the rejection letter so receiving it wasn't as much a shock. I was actually looking forward to receiving it to see how I fared this year. At least there seems to be a positive correlation between the number of years that I apply and my overall score. ;) Onwards and upwards!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Hey Kirsteen,

Sorry about the rejection letter!

None the less, your attitude about all of this is absolutely incredible ... onwards and upwards indeed!

All the best,

Medicator

Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

I'd just like to reiterate how wonderful the folks in the UBC admissions office are. I had my telephone appointment today to review my rejected application from this year and wow, so nice, helpful and illuminating.

It's so unfortunate that other schools in the nation don't seem to feel the need to adopt such measures.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vincecarterxv

JC15

an improvement of 1% is quite a bit, especially if you're close to the mean, where it should help you leap frog over at least 100 applicants, if not more.

Archived