Premed 101 Forums

Queen's vs. Western

Guest MegaDreamer

Guest MegaDreamer

Hi Everyone,

I have been accepted to both Queen's and UWO. I am having a really hard time deciding between the two schools. Although I am not 100% sure as to what I would like to specialize in, I know that I would probably enjoy something more specific and in-depth (perhaps cardiology) as opposed to Family Medicine. I liked the Queen's environment, but I have been hearing that there are not very many hospital facilities in Kingston, and that Queen's is more suited for those interested in Family Medicine. On the other hand, I don't really like the idea that during the third year at UWO, you can be forced into doing clerkship in a rural region. Can anyone offer some other pros and cons to each of the schools, and comment on the validity of the claims I made above?

Thanks a lot! I know many of you are in the middle of exams right now, or have just finished, and I really appreciate your feedback during this confusing time!

MegaDreamer

Guest aneliz

Firstly, at UWO you are REQUIRED to do 4 weeks (minimum) of your clerkship in a rural region. However, you may be required to do all or some of your clerkship in Windsor (which is not exactly rural...) Windsor is a large centre, across the river from Detroit, with multiple hospitals, surgical subspecialties, trauma centre, large ICU, etc, etc. I don't exactly see how this is rural... but yes, you can be forced to go to Windsor for clerkship and you are required to do a minimum amount of time in a rural environment (outside of both WIndsor and London).

UWO has a large emphasis on rural and regional medicine... so if you come here, be prepared for that. There is also a strong emphasis on family medicine at UWO... our Dean is a family doctor. However, you can definitely pursue anything that you are interested in here... and you will not be disadvantaged in matching to a specialty other than family by coming to UWO.

London is a good sized city, with a good sized population base. There is plenty to see and do here and you will be exposed to pretty much everything that you could want. The only things that we really don't have are paediatric cardiac surgery and academic dermatology. But neither does Queen's....

Guest Jixe

I heard the Queen of England went to Queen's (it used to be called Edinburgh U) and that you will be knighted if you visit England upon 10 days of being granted your MD degree. Being a knight in Canada means you can throw away all your parking tickets.

Western was actually part of the US and is really Westernized (hence the name). The university moved to Canada after tension between the US and India. Western's rival, Eastern University of India, was pleased by the move and grants those graduating from the MD program free citizenship to India.

There you have it. The pros of attending each university's medical school. Hope that helped!

Guest NeuroObsessed

"I heard the Queen of England went to Queen's (it used to be called Edinburgh U) and that you will be knighted if you visit England upon 10 days of being granted your MD degree. Being a knight in Canada means you can throw away all your parking tickets.

Western was actually part of the US and is really Westernized (hence the name). The university moved to Canada after tension between the US and India. Western's rival, Eastern University of India, was pleased by the move and grants those graduating from the MD program free citizenship to India.

There you have it. The pros of attending each university's medical school. Hope that helped!"

:rollin :lol :lol

Archived