Premed 101 Forums

UBC Life Sciences Building

Guest dentyne

Guest dentyne

I have a question about the new UBC Life Sciences Building. When will it be finished? Will it affect the medical class of 2007? Which students will it accomodate? Also, I was wondering about the facilities at UBC for medicine students. I was unable to see as much as I wanted when I was there. What are they like? (anatomy, ubc hospital, lecture theatres, pbl rooms, etc.)

Guest not rex morgan

There's a good reason they didn't show you the facilities. If this point will make or break a school for you, UBC is not your place. Actually, I can't say that. The new building will be great. The entire anatomy department will be moving into the new building at the end of the summer, and I believe physiology will do the same. The one thing I can say about UBC is that the anatomy department is pretty damn good at doing great things with what little resources they have. As for PBL rooms, many didn't have windows, and in your second year when most of your classes are at VGH, you are in windowless rooms with pathology specimins. As for lecture theatres, you'll soon discover that the quality makes no difference as long as you can bring in coffee. UBC hospital is no longer a teaching hospital. VGH, St. Pauls, Royal Columbian, etc are. They're across the city, and into the next city. For family practice, you will likely have to do a big commute as well. So the short answer is, yes the new building will effect 2007, and I can't tell you what that effect is, but any improvement in the already exisiting facilities would be welcome.

Archived