Premed 101 Forums

Appealing a med school's decision

Guest red

Numerous folks I've chatted with have been hinting that appealing a decision that was based solely on one-less-than-satisfactory interview result (ie. an interview that progresses poorly due to language barriers/interviewers that cut you off/ etc etc.) while the other is absolutely superb along with an exceptional application can be sufficient grounds for an appeal. What do you all think- do applicants really do this at times???? It seems really strange. Does this kill your chances for next year if the appeal goes sour?

Thanks

me

Guest ssup

I've heard of it being done before...BUT WATCH OUT: everyone warns that that adcom is very easily pissed off :evil and appealing their decisions might not impress them a hell of a lot. The guy that appealed it last year did it on the basis that UBC screwed up his pre-req average and it was higher than they thought. At the end of the day, nothing happenned, he wasn't accepted....

In all honesty, it may seem that you have grounds for an appeal, but I really don't think you stand much of a chance reversing their decision. Most of the applicants had the one interviewer that was rude, aggressive and cutting you off (can anyone say EVIL DR.DOUDET!!!:eek ). Likely, if you received low marks on that interview, it was because you may not have handled the opposition as well as other students, in which case, they have grounds to reject you. Also remember that interviewers scores are scaled so low marks from one interviewer are still valid and don't necessarily mean that they were just a low marker. In the end, because UBC's selection committee has veto power, i don't think that numbers can be used for a grounds for appeal. That's the whole point of the selection committee...to weed out students who may have scored highly but who still aren't quite ready for med school (and to reconsider students that may have been overlooked because of low scores), isn't it?

In any case, I think you just take it a pinch of salt, pull up your socks and reapply next year. Trust me, you're not alone in your frustration!

Good luck!

I firmly agree with everything you say which is why it surprised me that people do it- but I guess sometimes it can really seem unfair to well-qualified individuals. And I feel badly for everyone in that situation...:(

Hey ssup- how can I get those names from you? I'm sorry that I don't know this board very well...:o But hey- I figured out emoticons!

Red

Archived