Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted

Guest nsxboyz

Guest nsxboyz

I had some questions about being waitlisted.

I did a search and found that in past years, they don't tell you what place you are on the waitlist, but I was wondering if there were any changes this year.

Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist this year? I know last year they ran through all of the waitlisted people, so I was wondering if they increased the number of people waitlisted this year.

Furthermore, does anyone know what my chances of acceptance are if waitlisted? Anyone here accepted and not going to go? =) (i wish)

Anyway to bump yourself up on the waitlist?

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest not rex morgan

The waitlist sucks. Trust me, I was there. You have alot of trouble planning for the next year. I was totally honest and lost out on a good job. Of course, I got in off the waitlist, so the rest is history. I even have three lab exams today...aren't you looking forward to that? As for letting you know your position, if they can let you know, I would assume they would have. There is some legal reason they didn't tell us in the past. In my year, 25 were waitlisted, and not all got in. Last year, I heard a pretty good rumor that they put 40 on the waitlist (possible assumption more people would be going to other schools now that the tuition cap is raised). So who knows what they're doing. Seriously, I feel for you. Good luck.

Guest canstowski

@#%$, i was put on a waitlist too....when do they notify you to offer you a position?

MORE WAITING!!!!!!!! :rolleyes

Guest not rex morgan

This is not the answer you're looking for, but they respond when a position is available. I got mine a few days after acceptances were due, so I'm assuming I was high on the list. I've also heard about people who heard the day before class starts. The waitlist sucks. You try to think that you're not accepted so you're not dissapointed, but there is still that faint gleam of hope that defers you from future plans. I've only found one other person in my class who came in off of the waitlist, and she also found out right after acceptances were due. Most people don't talk about it. It's interesting in medicine how people maintain a persona. For example, we're in exams now, and many like to talk about how they're prepared. I like to commisurate, and have had problems finding people to do that with. So I can't tell you when people heard in our year. I know last year, I had a friend who got in (she's in first-year now) who got in without being on the waitlist. They went through the entire list last year. Presumably they've made the list longer this year.

The bottom line is that there is no telling what's going to happen...............but you're definitely in a better position than those not waitlisted. And, likely if you're waitlisted now, you'll get in next year.

Sincere best wishes

Guest monksters

Hello there,

Just something of interest...that the average declines for in province is 15 and total declines is 20 from 1995-2001 (according to the UBC stats page on this site). If the number on the waitlist is 25this would make chances of acceptance from waitlist from 60-80% on average, assuming they haven't expanded the list disporportionately. Though I did also here that last year UBC blew through the list completely....

There is still hope young skywalkers!:rollin

Guest not rex morgan

Canstowski. Sorry, I didn't entirely read your thread. Four exams in two days. Three on Friday, one on Saturday. Yes, that's one month after. Some may hear before that, as some who have been accepted to other schools they prefer, and they decline UBC right away. The one-month mark is the big deadline. Keep in mind that some decline later, as they hear from other schools later. So i guess they withdraw their acceptances. I know it's tempting to look at past stats to try to determine your chances, but you seriously can't tell from year-to-year. Terrible thing to think of, but it's a reality. One thing to keep in mind that is if you're on the waitlist this year, you have a shot, compared to those that don't. I heard a rumor when I was waitlisted, that if you are waitlisted one year, and don't get in, you are a sure-in for next year. I obviously can't tell you if that's true or not, as I don't have that admissions experience, but it is somewhat logical, and great to keep in mind. Good luck. I remember how painful the waiting was. "sorry, can't accept you, but we'll keep you in mind if our first-choices turn us down."

Guest also in limbo

waitlisted as well... at u of c too.

if anyone who was accepted is reading, i just finished my undergrad at queen's, and let me tell you, it is a fantastic school, beautiful campus, tons of school spirit, etc, etc! hint... hint...

jk! congrats to everyone for making it this far, regardless of their status - it has been a long eight months since applications were due!

Guest me maniac

Also in Limbo,

Did you interview in Cal on Mar 16th? Are you female? If so, I think I remember you. I think you're originally from BC, right?

me

Guest monksters

dear in limbo,

I waitlisted for UBC and U of C too.! man difficult to make any solid decisions. Should we be optimistic or pessimistic?

Cheers

m

Guest also in limbo

monksters: since omsas has yet to send out their evil little letters, i'd say remain optimistic!

me maniac: yes that is all true, you must have a fantastic memory! sadly, mine isn't quite as clear... unless you're from the same hometown as me??

Guest monksters

I have been chanting something rather a little bit different in my head... hopefully it will be of some avail..." Use up the waitlist, use up the waitlist"

If we pray hard enough maybe it will be a repeat of what happened with the waitlist last year.

m

Guest me maniac

in limbo,

actually, the reason I remember you (if you are, indeed, the right person) is our chance meeting in the ladies room (ALL RIGHT, ALL YOU READING THIS - IT IS NOT WHAT YOU'RE THINKING!!!:eek ). Are you from Kelowna? I'm actually from Kamloops, but we both had the same interviewer at UBC.

I thought for sure you were a shoo - in for Calgary!!! Where else did you apply/interview? Which is your first choice?

me

Guest also in limbo

me maniac,

of course, i remember now! how did you fare at u of c? i also interviewed at queen's and toronto, but my first choice by far is ubc. congrats on your acceptance, and hopefully i can join you in the fall!

Guest me maniac

in limbo,

like all OOP applicants, I was also waitlisted at U of C. It is, however, my first choice. We have sold our house (we have to be out by the end of June), so we will have to put our stuff in storage for the month of July..... I am willing to live "in limbo" like you for that one month in the hopes that I get into Calgary. Kind o' nutty, huh? You wanna come back to BC and I want out! :\ go figure!

Are you going to hold out for UBC, even if you get accepted at Queens, U of T, or Cal?

me

Guest also in limbo

well, even if i'm lucky enough to get in at any of the other schools, i will certainly wait for ubc - but of course only until their final deadlines (july 3rd for ontario i think...)

and yeah, a lot of people from bc seem to want to leave, but after already spending my undergrad out here, i'd love to get back! did you apply anywhere out east?

Guest me maniac

in limbo,

Yeah, I applied to Mac and Ottawa. Rejected from Mac (no kidding, huh?) - no reason given. Rejected from Ottawa - didn't have 3 years of 30 credits each. >:

I read your post on the Queens forum about yet another waitlist for you. There's still U of T - 4th time lucky!!!! I reeeeaaaaaalllllly want to get into Cal, so that I can give up my UBC seat for you!

I know you will get in somewhere, though. Three waitlists, one reply still to come - you are bound to get into one of them! (even if it is UBC :lol ) - just kidding - I guess you can tell I have an aversion for UBC, can't you? :smokin

me

Archived