Premed 101 Forums

PSYC courses

Guest mitchie41

Guest mitchie41

Hi.

I'm thinking about taking PSYC 100, and I would like to hear what people think about the course.

Is it intresting? Easy? Lots of material?

Thanks.

Guest Ollie

I would not recommend PSYC 100. It's not that interesting since it is just a rough overview of a lot of psyc topics, and you don't really get too in depth into any topics. The exams are just big@ss multiple choice requiring memorizatio from the textbook.

Instead, I would take one or two of the second-year courses. Psyc 100 isn't a prereq, and they are way more interesting. I don't remember the course #'s (it was a while ago), but I took Social Psyc, and Bio Psyc. I didn't enjoy Bio Psyc that much, but it was mostly cause the prof was crazy! I don't remember her last name, but I think her first name was Cathy or Catherine.

I think once you have 3 or 6 credits of 1st/2nd year Psyc, you can take the upper level ones, and a lot of them are really interesting.

Have Fun!

Guest mitchie41

What's social psych like anyways? Do you have to write essays? Does it involove a lot of memorization like psyc 100?

Thanks for the replies.

Guest tinee007

Hello,

I would recommend psych courses. I have taken 3 of them, 100 (intro psych, 6 credits), 201 (biopsych, 3 credits, and 203 (social psych, 3 credits).

I found that with the psych courses, there seems to be quite of bit of variation as to how the course is set up and marks given. I thought all 3 courses were easy and interesting enough. I wouldn't say that it requires a lot of memorization, but if you are not really into it, then you may not like it. I took them because I thought they would be interesting and as good GPA boosters. ;) The courses that I took did not require any essays (well, short paragraphs/essays on exams, but nothing to fret over), mostly all multiple choice exams. Overall, I enjoyed them and would recommend them to others.

:)

Good luck!

Guest physiology

I took PYSC 201 - which is biopyschology. My prof was this crazy French woman who tried to get half the class to drop out the first day. She really emphasized how students from certain backgrounds (English, commerce, essentially non-science people) would fail if they didn't have at least a working knowledge of the nervous system anatomy.

I still remember one thing she said in particular:

"Why take this class if you're gonna end up with a 50%?"

In the end, her bark was worse than her bite, and it wasn't too bad.

It was all memorization though. I think the course is now PYSC 260 something.

Guest cclau

To physiology: Psyc 260 is different from Psyc 201. Psyc 260 is for people in the Faculty of Science who plan to major in psyc. Psyc 201 is general biopsyc that's open to anyone except those who wanna get a BSc in Psyc.

I think I know which woman you're talking about. She has a bad reputation among psyc students already......so is another female prof who taught 201 several years back.

My advice is: stay away from 201.......not cos' it's not a fun and useful course to take, but cos' there's simply no good prof that's teaching it. 203 will be a better choice if you're just taking Psyc as an elective.

Guest physiology

Hi,

Yah, I didn't know the exact # of the course so I put psych 260 something.

Anyway, Psych 201 doesn't exist anymore. It's been replaced by the 260 something course.

Actually, I didn't mind Dr. C...she dressed really wild and wasn't that bad after all. The course was all memorization though.

Guest cclau

To physiology: Psyc 201 is replaced by Psyc 101 instead. Psyc 260 remains the same: only open to those in Faculty of Science who usually are planning to major in psyc.

Social psyc (Psyc 203) has been replaced by Psyc 102.

Archived