Premed 101 Forums

waitlist extension

Guest Helmet33

Guest Helmet33

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know what I found out from Joy Bennet at the admissions office today. She confirmed that they have run out of people on the waitlist and are offering positions to people previously rejected. She said that notification will go out to those who are now being added to the waitlist. She was unable to tell me how many people will be added. Who would of thought we would be checking the mail again at this point......

Helmet33

Guest maniac

I love the fact that you can get up close and personal with all these facts! What great news hope I hear you got in FINALLY!!!!!!

I'll be talking to you.

Maniac

Guest Helmet33

Hi maniac,

No big deal really, just called Joy and asked her the goods. Finally got my file through the Freedom of info act yesterday. I have to admit it was the smartest thing I have ever done. I can now focus on those areas that are weak, the ones you don't hear about in your meeting. As well it was amazing to see how they assess you Non-academic attributes. Have a meeting with Dr. Chalmers who is the acting dean of Policy and should be able to find out much more from him re: the whole admitting procedure. The only thing that was not in my file was my ranking out of the 351 students. Would love to know how close to the new waitlist I am, but who wouldn't.

Maniac, give me a call if you want to talk about any of it! Here's hoping you get a letter in the mail in the next few days.

Helmet

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Helmet33,

Was there any indication as to how the academic portion of the application was assessed? Care to share how those non-academics are assessed?!!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest BCgirl

Helmet,

do you live in Vancouver? Do you think it would be possible for someone that is currently oop to get them to send a copy of their file or do you think I would be out of luck?

Thanks.

Guest philly77

Okay, I just received the new waitlist letter... totally wasn't expecting it since my interview score sucked. Since receiving the rejection letter in May I was convinced that I would not be at UBC this fall, and that I'd be resigned to waiting for U of T (no answer from them yet) while assessing several backup plans. So now who knows what's going to happen? I'm only putting a grain or two of hope into my chances because I don't have a clear idea of what my chances are. My back-up plans are the only things I can prepare for now.

Guest philly77

maniac,

I live in Van. The letter was dated July 8 and the postmark was July 10. The adcom met on July 4 to extend the waitlist.

I found the best thing to do was not get caught up waiting. Make alternate plans. If I don't go back to school in the fall I want to do an internship abroad - it would be a great experience and a year off school ain't a bad thing.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Further to phillly77's post, apparently all the "waitlist 2" letters were posted by UBC on Monday.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hey not rex morgan,

That would be a nope-a!

(Incidentally, I don't expect to receive one, either. Not because I'm the archetypical pessimist, by the way, but following the logic behind my conditional acceptance/rejection, the reasoning for receiving a waitlist letter at this time just wouldn't fit.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Helmet33

Hi BCGirl,

I think if you email Joy at the office she will send or may be fax the correct form to you. She is very helpful and should be able to answer any questions you have.

Helmet

Guest Vagabond

Anyone else get on that new waitlist? Would you mind posting any other information, like how many people are on it?

Thanks

Archived