Premed 101 Forums

Question about nursing (IN BC) to medicine

Guest FungManX

Guest FungManX

I'll share One of my plans with you guys..

Okay, I've finished first year @ UBC with a pretty avg GPA (3.4/3.5? -> note avg prereq-gpa of accepted applicants is around 3.6 so... i'm still good! i hope..) okay anyway, I've devised a few backup plans..

So now the question.

Right now I'm wait-listed for Langara College's nursing program, so I've planned out that during the time I'm on the waitlist, I'll finish all the pre-req courses for UBC med.

If my GPA still remains in the 3.5-3.6 range after all the pre-req's are completed, and I want to boost my marks.. Will UBC accept my last 60 credits from the Nursing Degree Program at Langara College into the calculation of my last 60?

And will other universities use my GPA from Langara in my best 2 year GPA calculation?

I'm just wondering because I think before when Langara offered only the DIPLOMA Nursing Program, I couldn't use the credits that count towards a diploma.. but now that it IS a degree program you guys think I could use it as credits towards a degree in my med school applications..?

Thanks in advance

and I apologize for any bad grammar or ... sentences that just didn't make sense, my cousin just had a wedding so I'm sorta drunk haha

Thanks agian!

Guest canmic

I don't know too much about Langara's nursing program, but I do know that most (if not all) med schools say that the courses must be part of, or count towards, the obtaining of a 4 year undergraduate (or in some cases a graduate) university degree.

For example, if you take courses at a BC college that transfer to UBC towards a BSc or whatever, those courses count.

Also, not sure if this applies but the courses can't be pass/fail (some nursing programs have LOTS of pass/fail courses).

IF the degree they are now granting is a 3 year 'associate's degree' (I think that's what they're called?) and not a Bachelor's degree, then the courses wouldn't count.

(Don't confuse the 3 year / 4 year distinction with the fact that you can get a degree in some places (quebec/ontario for example) in 3 years; those are still Bachelor's degrees)

Best bet would be to email UBC and ask them in writing, to be 100% sure.

Don't forget that you also need 90 credits for most (if not all) med schools, and those credits usually must count towards a university degree too.

Why don't you apply to the BSN program at UBC. You're risking a lot by going to a community college. With a BSN, you have a backup, and you can apply to med school and have the courses count. Another thing about the BSN is that it is easier for career advancement if you decide to do nursing.

Guest docbil

From my understanding. All courses taken are included. No matter if they are used or not use towards a degree. Community college or not.

They prefer you having a degree, rather than 90 - 120 credits and no degree.

But definitely best things to do is as canmic suggested. Contact UBC. By email so you have written confirmation.

Guest TKP 123

Hello FungManX,

My girlfriend is currently pursuing a BSc (Tech) of nursing from BCIT. In fact, lots of people in her classes are like my girlfriend who already got a BSc in other fields before entering nursing program.

From what she told me, lots of courses at BCIT Nursing program are counted by percentage. But I want to warn you that these courses can be pretty tough. Some of them have class average of 60 something, because they want to make sure that the student nurses are competent.

Now, these are 4 years programs (at BCIT), that means you may have to spend another 4 yr in additional to the 1 yr that you have already done at UBC. After graduation, you got a Bachelor of Science in Technology (basically everything you take at BCIT has a technology term after your bachelors), and you are valid to apply for RN licence.

Back to your point, if you go to Langara where they offer the diploma of nursing. The disadvantages are that there are lots of pre-req courses (such as BIOL 200, BIOCHEM 3XX, ORGANIC CHEM, etc...) which won't be offered by the Langara diploma program. This can be a risk for you when you try to apply.

If you want to do the UBC program of nursing, don't you have to declare it in your telereg when you enter the university? I am not sure if you can still do that after your first year... You may, but again, you kind of waste your first year as a science student. I am not too sure....

Last thing I want to ask is, do you really want to do nursing in your heart? Nursing is a competitive and difficult program, and I really think that you have to like it before you do it well... My advise is don't do it solely for the sake of medicine.

These are just my opinions, but for sure, contact a pre-med advisor or UBC admissions for certainty.

Hope it makes sense.

TKP.

Guest canmic

That last point is really important I think..

Don't go into nursing if you don't know what it's all about or if you aren't really really interested in doing nursing (even if it is your second choice after medicine).

Have you worked or volunteered in a hospital and watched or helped the nurses at work? If not, it would be a great chance to both help you get into medicine and also to find out what nursing is all about before jumping in with both feet.

The point about doing UBC's BN program instead is also a good point, leaves you with a lot more options when you're done.

Guest FungManX

okay thanks for the responses guys!

First thing, I am 100% SURE it is a degree program. All the nursing curriculum's in BC (and all of Canada) now offer a Bachelors Degree. Its a requirement for all new nurses to have that BScN.

Second thing, I'm still heading to finish my 2nd year. I've already completed my first year in Science so I have like half the pre-req's for med already completed. In my second year I plan on finishing all the other pre-req's like Orgo Chem etc. and in the summer of my 2nd year-3rd year transition I plan on taking BIOC300 to finish up the req'd courses. By then I believe I will be off the waitlist and actually in Langara's nursing program. (I think I timed everything right.. since there is a 1.5yr waitlist...)

Third thing, I will try to apply to UBC nursing, BUT I heard it is extremely competitive to get in.. there are alot of people with RN's applying to get that BScN from UBC for some reason ....

And last thing, I'm also planning on applying to pharmacy for a backup, but I've heard that the jobs for pharmacists all over BC are declining due to the huge number of grads every year taking up positions.. (read my other post)

Guest FungManX

Oh yeah, one more thing.. I guess I'll call the admissions office to confirm what docbil said, that they include all credits taken from university or college (degree program or not?)

Archived