Premed 101 Forums

Understanding scores in the file review

Guest nostalg

Guest nostalg

Hello,

I just got my rejection letter today with details on how I scored and such. My feedback session is not until another couple of weeks, and I was wondering if someone could give me informal feedback regarding my scores.

Academic Qualities: 17.2/25

Non academic qualities: 20.01/25

Interview score: 19/25 (Panel recommendation out of 10: 8)

(consensus: 78.8)

I just want to make some sense out of my scores.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In the past, UBC used to gather all the information and scores and present each applicant to the final selection committee for review. I'm not sure if it was provided last year, but prior, no panel recommendation score was stated on the rejection letter. Presuming that a similar selection process is used nowadays, then the higher your section scores, most importantly, the interview, the better your chances of admission. I'm not sure if you're in- or out-of-province, but presumably the committee managed to find enough applicants within your category who scored a little higher, to fill the number of spots available for that category.

All in all though, even though you did not gain an acceptance this year, you probably have a decent chance in subsequent years, if your composite scores remain constant or increase, or if you try to improve your interview performance.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest nostalg

I'm an in-province, first-time applicant.

Thanks a lot Kristeen, this board is great.

I just couldn't help but be a little disappointed when I heard I wasn't even waitlisted.

A lot of people have told me though that sometimes they reject applicants the first time just to see if they really want to become doctors.

I definitely will re-apply next year.

Guest sedination

Hello,

Can some of the rejected applicants post their interview score as well as the consensus? I'm a little surprised at mine:

Last year: 21/25 ; adjusted to 88.09/100 ; average of acceptants 85.41

This year: 20/25 ; adjusted to 65.53/100 ; average of acceptants ?

Given my academic/non-academic scores, I'm positive I was rejected based on my interview. I'm disappointed that my interview score only dropped by 1 yet fell catastrophically when adjusted.

Guest Dunes

Hey guys,

Here is my info from the letter I received today. It's outlined a bit differently from last year:

Interview score: 23/25 (92%), consensus: 83.83 %, Panel Recommendation: 8.5

I don't undertsnad how can the panel give me a score of 92% but then the recommendation is 8.5/10..hmmm..got lots of questions for the feedback session in 2 weeks...

I am disappointed too about the outcome since this is my 4th application to UBC..But well, c'est la vie...All we have to let them know is that we're not giving up :\

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Regarding interview scores, I believe that UBC might do some post-interview normalizing of the scores, hence the appearance of an adjusted score. I recall, when I interviewed at UBC a while ago (when they still had one-on-one interviews) that both my interview scores were adjusted. The one interview score from an interviewer who I had who was reputedly a toughie, was elevated post-adjustment. So if UBC still implement this type of adjustment, i.e., normalize panel interview scores, then you may see higher or lower adjusted scores depending on how tough your panel's scoring was relative to that of other panels.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Tyler

Here were my stats after getting rejected:

Academic: 19/25 (overal -- 75.6, last 60 -- 85)

Non-Academic: 17.7 (frustrated because last year I had 18.5 and since then had done a ton more stuff - they gave me 4 on everything except a 1 on High performance, whearas last year I got a 4 in that catagory - frustrating).

Interiview: 14.5/25 recommendation : 5/10

Consensus: 75.13

(I think they generally marked low since my consensus isn't terrible but the other marks aren't too pretty).

I am really curious about the rural suitability score, what are each of sections out of, and whats a good score to be considered?

rural experience: 9.36

self reliance: 15

outdoor activities: 29.37

RRS points: 53.73

Overall im realizing that the interview is a huge part of the process, as long as you don't have too many red flags and can stay around 38 for your pre-interview file review.

Tyler

Guest osjx82

one question guys....

what are the criteria for the NAQ scores? and how are they scored? (eg. more points for longer duration of activity?)

Guest TKP 123

Hello,

I will throw in my 2 cents here.

Based on my previous unsuccessful attempts to UBC medical school, I realize that you really need to be persistent and try to improve your application as much as you can.

There is one big section which I believe counts a lot but never get discussed much by the Admission Office & the fellows here. It is - your reference letters. I know that UBC does not state how much % the reference letter counts, but it can really affects the subjective decision of the Adcom. Also keep in mind that they could not comment anything on your reference in the feedback section, because it is bound by the confidential law. So, what I am trying to say is: you really need to find somebody who can write you "super" reference, not just "good" reference. This is what I did differently this year - change referees.

So, how do you find "super" referees? It boils down to what kind of stuff you can do. In my case, I devoted almost 2 yrs into a new kind of volunteering, and make sure you work with that person (volunteer coordinator in this case) as much as you can, because in the end, it is that person who will write you the reference letters. Make sure that person knows you.... and always state to that person your will to medical school. On the contrary, say if you work in a hospital over the weekends, then you can't really use your hospital volunteer coordinator as a reference, because you don't get to see him or her when you are on duty. If you really want that person to write you something "good", make sure you communicate with him or her since your day 1 of your volunteering, not just the 2 months before your med school application.

I also asked my current supervisor at work to become my personal referee which I have never done before. I guess my point is make sure at least 2 of your 3 referees work with you currently. It won't be as good if you found 2 professors to write you reference letters while you have already graduated like 5 yrs ago. Try to find some current source of reference.

Also somebody here discussed here earlier that reference serves as a red flag only because the school expects everyone's reference will be good anyway. This is true, but I tend to think that a strong-positive reference letter will influence the Adcom decision much more than just a normal-positive letter. Again, this is not something quantitative like a score, but I really think it helps.

As for improving interview, please try to video-tape yourself if you want practicing. If you don't have video camera, just use one of the cameras made these days and they have a 60 sec video recording ability. I video-tape myself and discover that I did a number of funny things that I never realize. So, change these bad habits from there and again you can improve.

I understand it is frustrating to get the rejection, and I have been through couple times in the past. But this is something that I would like to share with you guys to improve the chance in the future.

Let me know if you want to know more.

Thanks,

TKP

Guest whatisthisakira

I may just be stupid but I can't find an interview score on my file review!

Under "Interview Results"

It says:

Interviewed by: 8

Consensus: 73.26

Panel Recommendation: 6.5

Is it located somewhere else or is it possible that they messed up my form?

Thanks.

Guest oliver5

Not to be a total dork b/c I got in...but I heard that some pple in past years who got in found out how they scored through freedom of info act or something? I realize it doesnt matter what I got but there's a part of me that's kinda curious. ????

Guest kanayo101

Hi...

Did anybody have Panel 13 (E. Leyland, N. Dixon-Warren, M. Beedham......I think)? I just wanted to know if other people got "not-so-good" scores from them? They gave me half of what I got last year even though I had a much stronger performance on my interview this time.

Just frustrated...

:\

Guest TKP 123

Oliver,

From my previous feedback session, I realized that in order to know what your referees wrote about you, or how they scored you, you need to go to Brockhall and apply under the Freedom of Confidential Act (or what-so-ever...) This process involves having UBC Registrar Office to go back to your referees, and ask them if it is ok for you, the student, to view their comments.

The negative aspect is that some of your referees may think that you don't trust them, because you ask to see their comments. It may somehow jeopardize their apprasial on you next time you ask them to write another reference letters.

So, I think it is better to stay away from finding out these results. That's why you want to make sure that this referee will write you something good before they start writing for you.

TKP

Guest Kels2004

The unofficial policy I believe is to not try and obtain your score, although perhaps you can fight it through the FOIP process.

The idea behind this is to reduce intra-class competition. You will notice a big change from undergrad when you start in september. It is H/P/F, and it is kinda rude to spout off about how well you did in an exam... you never hear people chatting about "oh, I got 97 here, 87 here" etc... It's more of a discussion of areas of strengths and weaknesses, areas to improve, etc. Your performance on tests will become a more personal thing - although I can appreciate you interest in knowing, and its hard to explain, try and stop focussing on numbers and just be happy you made the cut. :)

K

Guest oliver5

kels - you are totally right my scores really are irrelevant and I won't bother trying to find out. It was just that wee curious side of me coming out :)

Guest Asskar

…but the interview didn’t help me out much. I got: 25/25, Consensus 89.83, and panel recommendation 10/10 and didn’t even get waitlisted. I also did well on my NAQ 19.47, but what really hurt me was my AQ 16.80 I guess nothing makes up for less than stellar grades.

Guest Tyler

Im surprised you didn't even get on the waitlist - did you have any red flags or anything else that might have held them back?

Tyler

Guest kupo

im surprised too.

how old are you btw? i know someone who had done everything right, but only to be denied because of that person's age (person was 19). they dont let very many young ppl in at that age.

i agree, you wonder if there were other red flags that were raised wrt your application (reference letters, etc).

kupo

Guest Asskar

I’m 27 years old, and no red flags I can think of. My references were excellent; my academic was from my graduate biochem. Prof. who likes me very much and put me on the top10% of a 250 MD and graduate student class. I also knew my other references very well. I don’t know what you guys consider “red flags” maybe there was something I’m not thinking of, but like I said my AQ were low. I’ll have my graduate grades ready next year so maybe I’ll give it another shot.

Guest TKP 123

Asskar,

Have you already attended your feedback session? Did they say anything about it?

If it is your undergrad (1st yr - 2nd yr) GPA which kills you, can you apply the 10 yr rule, which ignores those score if they were taken 10 yrs ago?

TKP

Guest BCMeds

Hello guys,

Do you know where the "red flags" are mentioned in the file review? Is it the bottom window of the first page?

Cheers

Archived