Premed 101 Forums

My Chances @ UBC

Guest jase

Okay, this is more of a question directed towards students already in UBC Meds.

This is my second time applying (assuming that my third reference gets that letter in on time and I don't get disqualified, =)). Last time I was invited for an interview (it was when I was in 3rd year).

My interview percentile rank was below 30%. During that time, I really felt my interviews went well and that I was really able to sell myself to the admissions committee. Unfortunately, I did not receive an acceptance. I phoned up P. Jeffs (at UBC Admissions) and asked for advice and what I could improve. Basically, my diversity of experience was somewhat lacking.

This time around, I reapplied with a different perspective (in my essays). I was able to add a few more things onto my CV (research, new leadership roles at the hospital, etc.).

Now, my question is this. How many students get accepted in their 2nd try? If you were one of these students, what were your experiences like applying for the 2nd time? Was the interview easier/harder?

Thanks

Guest not rex morgan

Jase. I applied three times. Got interviews for the first time this round. Admissions is enigmatic. If you really want it, keep applying. Sounds like you applied anyways, so start preparing for interviews.

Hi,

I applied 3 times too and got in the 3rd time. It was to be my last try and I would leave the thought of becoming a doctor forever...but I did it. So, the advice is, keep trying if you really want it.

The admissions process is still a bit of a mystery to me. Basically, there are a whole lot of qualified applicants - too many for the spots available. The fact that they told you that you did not have a diverse enough background/ experience, does not mean that you don't, but relative to the students who got in, you had less. Don't take the fact that you didn't get in personal. Just try to keep positive about it, despite the possible outcome of not getting in.

Sometimes I do think it's just luck of the draw who gets in...who read your essay, who read your reference letters, and then who your interviewers are.

Just keep trying!

Guest Ian Wong

I'd say at least one third of my class applied multiple times before getting accepted. Don't forget that there are different interviewers, each of whom has their own unique "style" of interviewing. I'm firmly of the belief that you could interview with two different people, and because of the inherent flexibility and the infinite number of directions in which the interview could lead, that getting the same interview evaluation from those two people is a crapshoot, unless you are either exceptionally good, or exceptionally bad at interviewing.

I think not rex morgan has a good point; you've already applied, and you will probably again get an interview this year, unless your fourth year has significantly compromised your application. It's best at this point to work on your interview skills, read some papers, think about some ethical questions, and just get educated on health care in general. Last point is that if you can do some video interviews, perhaps in conjuction with your university's career office, and then analyze them afterwards, you'll probably learn a lot.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived