Premed 101 Forums

Filling out the application

Guest BCgirl

Guest BCgirl

How do you fill out the application form (just the form, not all the other things) if you don't have a typewriter? Is it okay to hand write it? I would rather not hand write it, but I don't have many options since I don't have typewriter.

Guest YongQ

You don't have to type anything on UBC's application, at least it was this way last year. I filled the whole thing out rather messily (but legibly) with a ball-point pen and got an interview. I mean, if you think about it, it makes sense because they can't disqualify you for not typing 0]

:rollin

Guest Ian Wong

Type it out! The last thing you want to do is what YongQ did (no offense man...), and that is to handwrite your application. This is particularly true if your handwriting isn't the neatest.

I don't have a copy of the application form, and therefore can't tell you if this is disallowed (you'll have to check on that), but what I would do in your situation is if I could feed the form through a laser printer, I'd make a photocopy of the application, and use it for test printing as I designed a Microsoft Word document that would laser print within those margins.

If you can't feed the application through the printer, then I'd still print it out on MSWord, and then use a paper cutter to cut out each section, and then use a glue stick to patch out each section onto the application form.

Either way, the final result will be much neater and more professional than handwriting your statement. Remember that the application is read by humans; make it as easy on them as possible!

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Oz10

I fully agree with Ian. I didn't have a typewriter either but I found one. If you go to copy places, like Kinko's, they usually have typewriters. This makes it a bit easier than trying to figure it out on the computer I think. Presentation is important.

Guest BCgirl

I'm just asking about filling in the one part of the application (not the essay and list of extra-currics - those will be easy to put through the printer). The part I'm talking about is the part for your name, address, pre-reqs and stuff. It's one big piece of paper folded in half, so I don't think trying to get it through a printer is a good idea. And for the cutting and pasting thing... the paper isn't white, so I guess I would have to find paper that matches the application. So, I guess hand writing is out of the question... now I need to find a typewriter. What happens if you make a mistake with the typewriter? The correction tape thing would probably be white, right? So if I make a mistake there will be a big white mark on my non-white paper. What a pain :( !! Now I need to try to find a typewriter... as if I don't have enough to do... working full time, volunteering, trying to study for the MCAT (which is only a month and a half away! :eek ), and still have a life. Maybe I'll leave that part until after the MCAT.

Sorry about the rant. I'm just going insane! :x

Guest Oz10

BCgirl, you're worrying too much. Typewriters don't make white marks nowadays when you correct, they're actually quite sophisticated. I don't know if you're still in school but if you are, you can probably go to your department office and use their typewriter, that's what I did. If not, as I mentioned before, go to a copy place. You sound like you have a lot on your plate, remember the UBC application doesn't have to been done in until the beginning of October. Make a rough copy first (photocopy the form and fill it out in pen), check it over and then transfer it to the good copy, typewritten. I'm sure a lot of people have done this, it's not a big deal. Hope that helps!

Guest YongQ

I disagree with all of you - why should presentation matter in this case as long as you type legibly? It's just a pain. Exactly where in the admissions process would you lose marks?

Guest Laura

YongQ, you would lose marks in the "first/overall impression" part of the admissions process. When your application is filled out messily, it gives the impression that you're unprofessional and that you aren't taking the application process seriously. If a med school that is picking interview candidates needs to chose between an applicant who wrote messily (but legibly) and one who typed out his/her application neatly, who do you think the school would believe is more serious about medicine? I mean, this is basic information that everyone knows!

Please, don't be offended, but I think a *moderator* should give advice that is just a little more well thought out, don't you?

Guest gucio93

I'm not sure what capabilities your computer has, or if the "original form" must be sent back to the school. Barring these difficulties, have you thought about scanning the application into your computer and filling it in on-screen?

Guest YongQ

OK - I forgot about the UBC "final impression" thing. BTW I didn't get into UBC and even as of now I don't know what went wrong with my interview - maybe my handwriting was it? If so then I have an issue with UBC, because inferring that an applicant isn't taking the process seriously just because he/she didn't type out the form is a HUGE stretch - after all, physicians fill out prescriptions by hand, but this doesn't mean they aren't taking the patient seriously, right? I hope UBC makes its application electronic soon to avoid this prejudice that can arise during selection for admission.

Guest ubctoo

I neatly printed my name, address, extracurricular activities and "word-processed" my essay . . . and I got in. I figured that my printing looked neater (!) than the fonts provided by a typewriter. It is easier on the eyes for the extracurric chart . . . but only if you have neat (all-capitals) printing. You can fit more info in too (since you don't have to worry about long words/margins)! scanning the form and typing on it is a good idea also - as long as it doesn't take you too long . . . concentrating on your essay is probably a better investment of your time than worrying about whether to type your name.

Guest Ian Wong

Heya BCGirl,

I originally thought when you posted your question that you meant hand-writing in your autobiographical statement and stuff as well. If it's just your demographic information, then that can be filled in by hand. My suggestion is to print everything capitalized in block letters, as that's the easiest and most legible writing of all. The last thing you want is for them to screw up your address or some other crucial contact information. I hand-printed that part of my application; although I'm sure it's changed since then, and it wasn't a problem.

Your essay, however, should be typed, and as ubctoo points out, quite rightly, that should be where the majority of your time is spent. Definitely at least triple-check it for any bugs, such as spelling or grammatical errors. BTW, ubctoo, I've still got that project cooking where I could definitely use your help. Please email when it's convenient for you. mdpremie@yahoo.com

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest tones

I used handwriting to fill out the personal information stuff. And I also used handwriting for the activities and clubs sheet as well. I would have liked to use a typewriter for the latter but I knew I had too much information to place in those small columns. Even though it looks as if typewriter print is small, it's actually quite large. My handwriting is quite neat and legible so I knew it shouldn't be too much of a problem. As for the essay, it "has" to be typed-- without a doubt. I did what exactly Ian said. I photocopied the sheet UBC gives and I set the margins and stuff so that it printed exactly where I wanted it too. It doesn't take too much time and was not too difficult. Good luck!

Guest HHH07

I just wrote my application part neatly in capital letters also. Typing the essay is essential, and very easy if you make photocopies and set the margins of your printer up with the margins of the form. As for the application form, I personally don't think it was meant to be filled in with a typewriter... it would have been hard for me to fit everything in to the space provided if I used a typewriter. Hopefully UBC will come up with an electronic version of the application process like Calgary/Ontario/etc. soon.

Archived