Premed 101 Forums

UBC med cirr. 1st year

Guest med2005

Guest med2005

Hi Ian,

I have just been accepted to UBC Med and I plan to accept the offer. Could you tell us briefly how the first year at medical school was for you? Was it overwhelming? Was it extremely busy? Was it rewarding?

What is the orientation like? Is there a "white coat ceremony"? Do we need to buy any equipment? Do we get any summer vacation?

Thanks,

med2005

Guest Ian Wong

Hi,

I'm currently in the middle of exams, so messages will be a little shorter, and more interspersed.

UBC Med 1 is quite easy, and time *flies* by. I still remember Orientation really vividly, and I still remember everything about being part of this year's Orientation. That was 3/4 of a year ago.

The first term is a review of basic sciences: genetics, biochem, mixed in with some clinical sciences to make eveything interesting. I would wager that you'll find first term to be a smooth transition, but that you will enjoy it far more than you ever did undergrad, because now everything has a point: to help you become a good doctor.

The second term you start organ system blocks. First, you'll do microbiology and immunology, then followed by Pulmonary, Cardiovascular, and finally FERGU (Fluids, Electrolytes, Renal, and Genito-Urinary). Here, you'll really start to get your feet wet as you learn to interpret complete blood counts, chest X-Rays, various heart murmurs and EKG's, and urinanalyses, among other things.

No white coat ceremony. In my mind, that strikes me as being something ridiculously traditional. :) You'll pick up your lab coats as issued from VGH (Vancouver Gen. Hosp.) laundry and maintenance.

Wait on equipment until you arrive. You'll get group rates then. Do NOT buy a microscope!

You'll get 3 months off for summer vacation. I suggest you use it wisely, because it, and the 2 months off after Med 2, will be the last summer vacations you have in a long time.

Congrats on getting accepted. Everything will become clearer at Orientation time, so just relax.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest UBCmed2005

Are there forign research opportunity for medical students at UBC? I know that when I went for my interview at UT, they were boasting about how anyone who wishes to participate in research, abroad or loacally, can easily do it. It is just a matter of having the desire to do it. Is it the same at UBC? Plus, what is the orientation all about?

Thanks,

UBCmed2005

Guest Ian Wong

???

I seriously doubt that U of T schedules time during the academic year to do research. Most likely, that takes place during the summer breaks. I have a friend at U of T in Med 1 who's set up some research work here in Vancouver this summer.

If that's the case, you could do that here in your summer's off. The question then becomes: do you really want to? If you aren't gunning for a competetive specialty, then you would really be doing research for the love of it, rather than for the extra polish it puts on your application.

In the summer, you can do whatever you like, as long as you set it up. People in my class have gone and taken vacations; other people haven't. This year, quite a few people are taking time off, but other folks have scheduled electives in areas of interest. One guy in particular is going to Hong Kong this summer to do an elective in Internal Medicine. So, you have all the freedom in the world, it's just up to you to arrange it.

Orientation is orientation to med school. Can't get any simpler than that. It's one week long. I've got to go study now.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Archived