Premed 101 Forums

*Additional UBC and Queens info

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Capt. Japan, Cda MBA

Date:***2/1/2001 7:28 am*PST

Hello;

Some facts that I have recently learned that may be of interest:

1) I just received a letter from the Assistant Dean of Medicine at UBC (regarding, primarily, special consideration status). However, a snippet of information was covered in the letter that responds to some earlier questions relating to mailing of interview invitations. The letter stated that interviews have already begun, (already known) and that invitations will continue to be sent up until the end of March.

2) I recently spoke with the Admissions Officer at Queen's regarding their MCAT cut-offs for this year (each year they freshly determine the cut-offs after performing a cursory review of the applicant pool). This is what was specified: a total score of 30 (VR + PS + BS) is required with the following minimums to be met: VR-10, PS-9, BS-9. If these scores are met, the applicant will continue through the selection process. If these scores are not met, the applicant will not be considered further. (This cut-off applies to both, graduate and undergraduate applicants.)

Good luck.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***2/1/2001 11:05 am*PST

Hey Capt. Japan,

Thanks for providing the MCAT cut-offs for Queens. I've always hated how the cut-offs can change year-to-year relative to the admissions pool. I've never felt comfortable with this part; it's akin to running towards a hurdle, and finding out in mid-jump that the hurdle has been raised an additional 10 cm. I've appreciated UBC in this regard (they've kept the same MCAT requirements for the past several years), so you really know just how high you need to aim.

Aside from this, my cousin is in first year meds there, and she absolutely loves it (she was choosing between there, and UBC).

As for UBC, this jibes with what I've been hearing. Interview invitations will continue to be sent for at least a couple months (and I wouldn't be surprised if they continued even after that), so for all you hopeful people out there, sit tight. :)

Ian

Can, MS2

PS: To everyone out there reading this message board, JOIN IN! Using your real name and e-mail address is optional!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jase

Date:***2/7/2001 7:03 pm*PST

Yeb... Got my Queen's interview.

Just aim for that 10 on verbal. Seems to be the major cutoff.

Archived