Premed 101 Forums

pre-reqs for phyl 301

Guest avenir001

Guest avenir001

Hey guys,

I really want to take phyl 301 this year and I'm sure I can handle it, but I don't have one of the listed pre-reqs (biol 112) :\ Does anyone know if they're really strict on this or perhaps permission from the instructor would be enough??

Thanks for your help.

Guest ubcparamedic

Hey I just took this course this year, and I had friends who didnt have all the pre-reqs but were still able to register for it. I dont think they are too strict with them. On your registration day just register for the course, if you do have problems email the professor and I am sure they will register you into it.

Guest leviathan

I have the SAME missing course from my prereq list...when I did the test registration, it gave me an error message when I tried to register for physiology 301 about missing pre-reqs, but at the end of the error message it still said: "Registration successful."

Sooo hopefully it will work. I emailed the course director about he and he never replied. I also wanted to find out if I could take the physiology lab, but didn't receive a reply.

Guest physiology

Just a quick suggestion - definitely take PHYL 301. It'll prepare you well for UBC's curriculum.

There is a lot of overlap between the material covered in PHYL 301 and in the medical curriculum. In fact, one of the neuroscience professors uses the EXACT same lectures in phyl 301 as he does in our Brain and Behavior course. There were two lectures that were identical, but it was nice seeing something that was already very familiar!

I can think of at least 2 other professors that teach in both PHYL 301 and the medical curriculum.

Physio

Guest ubcparamedic

Hey Leviathan thats exactly what it said when my friend registered for the course, however they were able to stay in the course without having to email or get permission from the professors. As far as the lab goes, I think its only for pharmacy students so that might be much more difficult to get into.

Guest avenir001

Ya I think the phyl lab is restricted...and I've heard that the lab reports take forever to write up...not to mention, as far as I'm concerned, I've done enough lab reports to last me a lifetime :lol Thanks for all ur comments & suggestions...hopefully my registration in the course will go smoothly...

Btw, are there required/recommended textbooks or is it enough to study from the notes/handouts and still do well? The reason I loved ANAT 391 so much is that it was possible to do well by just relying on the lecture materials. Can the same be said about phyl 301? Thanks.

Guest ubcparamedic

Hey aveneir dont buy the textbook, there are way too many details in it and its a waste of money. I just relied on the course notes, and did some of the practice exams you can buy from the BPP club. This was enough to get an A-, so save yourself the 100$, because if you know the notes you will do good in the course

• 2 weeks later...

Archived