Premed 101 Forums

references checked?

Guest Tara191

Guest Tara191

Hi everyone!

A friend of mine who applied this year got a call from one of her references last week. Apparently this referee was called up by someone from admissions to verify an activity of hers. What does this mean? Are the extra-curric activities of only successful candidates checked?

I'm stressing out here because I don't think anyone from my list was called.

Thanks!

Guest jazzyjd

Hey,

Do you know if it was a referee (ie. reference letter) or a verifyer contact person from the extracurricular list? Mmmm, I think i'll call my referees to see if they've been contacted. . .

regards

Guest Ian Wong
Are the extra-curric activities of only successful candidates checked?
Doubt it. I suspect it would be physically impossible to check every successful applicant's references given manpower and time constraints (plus the ever present reality that contacting references is not necessarily as straightforward as it seems; people are on vacation, have moved, are lazy returning messages, etc). I'm pretty certain that most people who are accepted never had verification of their referees.

Ian

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Tara,

What does this mean? Are the extra-curric activities of only successful candidates checked?
At least one of my references was checked too, but a few weeks ago, i.e., a few days post-interview. Thus, it seems that the checking process may be spanning some time this year. (...but I don't think it means that us checked folk were necessarily successful in the application process. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi guys- last year, Dr. Frinton told me that they had phoned one of my referees because one thing in what he had said in his form seemed not to conform with the rest...It was an act to clarify an "oddity" in this particular case. While he was talking to them, he gave me a great reference over the phone and so they were satisfied with that (Guess he got used to the idea that I didn't see a solid, dependable research career for me in the smelly, burping, and farting sea lion line of work after all).

Don't think they had checked with those on the e-c list tho.

Red:)

Guest Koppertone

One of my referees went backpacking in Australia for a year :lol Well all I can say is oh well, if I don't get in because of THAT then I want my money back :smokin

Archived