Premed 101 Forums

paying tuition

Guest ssc427

Guest ssc427

Can we use a credit card to pay tuition?

And I assumed it's split up into two semesters, so ~7K due in Sept and ~7K due in Jan.

Guest sudoku

yup. but you have to do it online. After 4 years of tuition fee and all the associated costs of med school.... i should have a free airplane ticket to anywhere in the world to celebrate!

Guest tigerlily

I took a *really* quick look at the MD Management site - do you know if you have a choice of what your card looks like? I know it seems trivial but the one they have shown has a giant MD in the background and... I don't know... that just seems pretty pretentious. I don't think I'm going to want to flash that around even AFTER I have my MD, let alone entering first year! So... does anybody know if you can choose your background image?

Plus, thanks for the info SSC! Ultimately, I don't think the image matters much, but *if* they have the option of something else, that would be a bonus :)

Guest Persistent

hey,

I looked at the MD Platinum site... Does the travel points apply to the MED STUDENT plan? Is the CMA/MD one for students or professionals? The CMA/MD one has an interest rate of 19.5% but in the blurbs about the Med Student one it says "Up to $200,0001 of credit is available at the prime rate.2 The prime rate was 5.75% as at April 26, 2006. " So would it be better to get the student one since the interest rate would be MUCH lower rather than going for the travel points?

This is confusing.

Persistent

Guest ubcparamedic

You guys should look into the Gold Mastercard. There is an annual fee of 80$ associated with it, however the benefits are amazing. You get 1 airmile for every $14 you spend, plus 150 airmiles for signing up. The biggest benefit is that they have a deal with Westjet. You can fly anywhere in North America for a maximum of 1600 airmiles. To be more clear the trip that entitles the most amount of airmiles with any other Mastercard will cost you no more than 1600 airmiles with the gold card. This promotion is only with this specific credit card. So you pay your tuition of 7000$ and you get 500 airmiles. After one year you will have enough airmiles for a trip to almost anywhere in North America

Guest ssc427
I looked at the MD Platinum site... Does the travel points apply to the MED STUDENT plan? Is the CMA/MD one for students or professionals? The CMA/MD one has an interest rate of 19.5% but in the blurbs about the Med Student one it says "Up to $200,0001 of credit is available at the prime rate.2 The prime rate was 5.75% as at April 26, 2006. " So would it be better to get the student one since the interest rate would be MUCH lower rather than going for the travel points?

The prime rate is for the line of credit only. You can get the 'student' platinum card on it's own at 19.5% (same as the RBC card) which is the exact same card a non-student can get except that you don't pay the fees (with the RBC card you do).

Guest ssc427

thanks ubcparamedic,

That does look like a good deal. For anyone else interested the link is here.

I think this is the most practical card. The thing we'll need is domestic miles for 4th year residency interviews. This card is not so great if you want to leave North America.

Archived