Premed 101 Forums

I may be in trouble

Guest jcer

Hi everyone. I was not planning to go to [uBC] med school until recently, but now that I do, I find myself in a problematic situation. Unfortunately for me, in my 2nd year, I only took 9 courses (all worth 3 credits) and on top of that I ended up failing one (organic)! I took the course again and did very well.

My overall average is about 82 and my last 60 credits is about 87. I am, by default, ineligible due to my one year with 27 credits? Does it even matter that I had years with 37 credits?

Thanks for the advice. I plan to talk to admissions asap.

Guest kanayo101

Hi jcer,

Unlike other schools, UBC does not require applicants to have taken full course loads during their schooling. In fact, the majority of my semesters are <<30 credits.

Hope that helps!

ps - nice averages :)

Guest kaymcee

jcer, I can guarantee that this isn't a problem at all. Straight from the mouth of an admissions officer, they don't blink an eye when they see someone with 8 or 9 courses over an academic year.

No need to worry.

Wow thank you for the quick responses. Needless to say, I am incredibly relieved!

This forum is such a great resource - I wish I had found it a year or two ago.

Guest kellyl20

How are UBC students faring at other schools' applications that requires 1 full year of organic chem, if all they had was 1 semester of 2nd year organic chem? Was 1st year chem counted towards organic chem?

Archived