Premed 101 Forums

Pre-requisites

Guest amourX

hi, did any of you guys not take any math courses as part of your undergrad program. I heard that they that statistics and physics are "recommended" but not required, so i was planning on not taking it since i HATE math, but will that lessen my chances of getting into medical school?

Guest physiology

Not taking math won't affect your chances of getting into medical school at all. This is also UBC specific - I don't know about other schools.

However, you have to remember that you have to complete a minimum of 3 years of undergraduate studies before applying, and in those 3 years, you have to choose a major.

Almost all science majors and commerce majors require at least 1st year calculus. You can get around this going the BA route though.

really thats cool because i'm planning on going to ubc too :) so can you please elaborate on the BA route, will i have the equivalent chance of getting into med school with a BA degree instead

Guest Jochi1543

This would involve just getting a BA in whatever you're interested and taking care of your pre-med pre-reqs (chem, etc) along with that.

I will obtain a BA in Japanese Language and Literature in May, but I will also have completed a year of bio, a year of general chem, semester of physics, a year of English, and calculus. It's not that hard, really, in fact, I enjoy the variety.

Guest Jochi1543

To give you an idea, I'm at a college in the US, and for my Japanese major I have to take 10 courses - that means taking just one course in that major a semester, and then taking 2 a semester for just one year. That leaves you tons of time to study something else. Had I started pre-med earlier, before junior year, I would've been done completely, now I just have to take Orgo and Biochem after I graduate. For example, I'm also halfway done with an Economics major which I ended up dropping eventually, and I've taken a bunch of courses that don't really count for either pre-med, or my Japanese or previous Econ major.

It's really not that hard to major in Humanities/Social Sciences and complete the pre-med program at the same time, trust me.

Guest physiology

To get into a med school with a BA, it's simple, just do your program and take the required med school pre-reqs, of which you have researched because every medical school's pre-reqs are different.

Physio

Guest mitchie41

Although stats and physics are only "recommended", I think that you should be pretty familiar with them if you want to do medicine.

For physics, you need it to get through the MCAT, and they throw little bits and pieces of it in physiology/pharmacokinetics in first term.

As for stats, I just think it's important to have because almost every research paper includes stats, and if you don't have an idea about p-values, t-tests, mean, SD, ANOVA, etc... you may not be able to understand how these research projects were analyzed and how accurate or significant the results really are.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking biochem through Athabasca and i have written confirmation that the courses are applicable to UBC pre-reqs. The courses are bio401 and chem301 in that order. I hope that helps

• 1 month later...
Guest Tommy1978

Hello

I am interested in taking the two Athabasca courses that transfer as equivalents to UBC Biochem 300. Can any of you guys tell me what was required to get confirmation that they are equivalent? Did you get a letter from UBC or something? Any help is appreciated.

T

Archived