Premed 101 Forums

OOP success stories

Guest Maple21

Guest Maple21

Hi,

Could some people who have applied and received acceptances as OOP applicants to UBC share some of their profiles/experiences? Last year i think there were 10 seats offered and about 70 OOP interviews granted and this year there are again 10 seats (i think) but 89 OOP interviews.

I interviewed at UBC from ontario last year and have an interview again this year, and would prefer to get an offer this time (like everyone of course)!!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I applied to UBC a number of times, and received two acceptances: one was as part of the MD/PhD program (so you are automatically gauged as an in-province student) and the other as an OOP applicant (although I ended up choosing to attend UofC).

If you've received an interview in the past, then that's a good predictor for receiving an interview in the future, especially if your application has strengthened since last year's application cycle. So it sounds as though you already have some of the characteristics that UBC is seeking and don't have to worry too much about the characteristics of your co-applicants.

As far as I am aware, the interview still counts for a good chunk of the UBC admissions score. So if you are invited to come out again, I'd spend a good deal of time preparing for it. The remainder of your application at that point, is largely unchangeable and irrelevant re: influencing the admissions decision.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived