Premed 101 Forums

Knowing your interview panel?

Guest GundamDX

Guest medsmurf

Last year I researched my interview panel to get an idea of who they were and then when I interviewed I realized it was not at all important so this year I'm not even going to bother looking into it.

I think it could help.

Like knowing that my interviewer is an opthamologist and has a real interest in jazz music is useful to know (thanks google) -- now I will make sure to try and bring up my jazz bass background and love for music, if possible. And, wow, I love eyes sooo much!

If you find something to talk about passionately that they might be able to relate to, then perhaps you can turn your interview into more of a "conversation" rather than an awkward monologue. But just learning about them to brown nose, drop names, feign interest in what they study, not a good idea obviously.

Also, if you know something about their background then you will probably feel a little more comfortable during the actual interview. Seeing them as more 'human' with interests and lives outside of that interview room, and not just as an intimidating interview panel out to get you will help to make the interview a little more natural and less one-sided.

If the interviewer's background helps, go for it.

But supra does bring up a good point. View the panel as people at "your own level". As colleagues. If you can convince yourself of that, I think your nervousness will be kept to a minimum. At least I hope so.

Worked for me, may not for others.

Kupo

Guest calbearod

everyone's going to have their own opinion, so i thought i'd just add my 2-bits worth.

prior to my interview, i went through a mock interview with a couple of residents and they warned me that one my interviewers was "difficult". i think that helped prepare my mind set for the interview knowing that i was going to face an antagonistic personality (which he certainly was by the way). having said that, i don't think it's important to know details about your panel. if you share a common interest with a panelist and the topic or the opportunity to bring up the topic naturally happens, great. i wouldn't go out of my way to bond with a panelist. to me it would appear too rehearsed and it's hard (not impossible) to slip in with out appearing to brown-nose. also, remember there are 3 people on the panel, it's a tough balancing act to bond with someone on a personal interest topic while trying to keep the other 2 panelist engaged. in my interview, 1 guy asked me about a hobby of mine in my application and from the question, i knew he shared a common interest. of course i had to answer the question, but it started taking on a more one-to-one conversation feel and i could tell i was losing the interest of the other 2 interviewers. i had to redirect the conversation to involve everyone.

it's a stressful situation, so you do need to stay calm and think clearly. do what you think will keep the nerves to a minimum. remember, you are the centre of attention, their job is to get to know you better and decide if they can see you being their future colleague or even better yet, can they picture you being their doctor. so you really do have to be confident and "sell" yourself to a certain degree. the most important thing is to really know yourself. as cliche as it may sound, i think if you let your honesty and passion show through, you'll do just fine.

Guest medinvan

Hi

I am new to this message board.I recently stumbled upon it while searching for interview tips.

I was wondering what are the best ways to prepare/practice for the medical interviews? I have never had a true serious interview before in my life...and I am very nervous about the UBC med interview.

Also, calbearod mentioned mock interviews with residents. I was wondering where opportunities like that are found?

Thanks for all the advice.

Guest physiology
Also, calbearod mentioned mock interviews with residents

Hmm...You'd probably have to know some residents. I don't think such a service exists right now, unless you arranged something ad hoc on your own.

Archived