Premed 101 Forums

Question?

Guest Artist

Hello,

I'm sorry if my question is in the wrong board, but I thought it would be applicable since I'm a UBC student, and this is the UBC board, it'd make sense. Apologies though in advance =]

First off, I'm a 1st year Arts student at UBC. Currently I'm taking 2 courses right now. I plan to take summer school, and a full load on next year. The only reason I only have 2 courses instead of the 4 expected is because I got into UBC really late. I had anticipated to get into the Faculty of Science but was rejected, and then finally accepted into the Arts Faculty but all the science courses were full, so I had to settle for 2 arts one. My question is, will UBC Medicine really look down upon the fact that I didn't take the expected full load 1st year? I am also wonder, if I take 3 courses per semester, and 2 summer courses, it would be looked upon the same as if I took 8 courses during Winter Session? Cause, I'd really like to take it easy, so I can find the time to volunteer and get excellent EC's on my resume when I apply to Medicine.

Thanks so much.

Guest GundamDX

I don't think it will matter, as long as you get all your pre-reqs done. They look at overall and last 60 creds, and as someone has pointed out in another thread, more weight is put on the last 60 credits (if you are applying after 3rd year, basically your 2nd and 3rd year grades; if it's after 4th year, it's your senior years). It's a bit different than OMSAS because summer courses are counted just like the winter courses.

It's great that you're looking for volunteering opportunities this early. I wish I have done that as well. A balanced approach is the best I suppose. I didn't do a lot in my first 2 years but built up a strong academic foundation instead (and decent pre-reqs), but everyone is different :)

Archived