Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite IS OUT!

Guest atworknow

Guest Maple21

I just got an invite too!!! I haven't posted here before but have recently started reading postings and have found it very helpful. I'm OOP and interviewed at UBC last year (after year3) but didn't get in. So, hopefully better luck this year.....

Guest AnxiousBoy

I got my offer as well. I don't know how I pulled this off since my AS two years ago was a mere 17 :( and my NAQ at 11.

Congratulations to those who were invited.

My regrets for those who weren't invited. I hope you'll try again next year though. I believe you'll be able to gain valuable experiences within the year and become a better doctor. I believe persistence will eventually pay off. Just look at my score above :D

Guest atworknow

This is the stats for this yr:

1764 applicants applied, 631 interviewed, 224 will be accepted.

12.6% of being accepted overall, 21.6% of being accepted if you are in province.

35% of being accepted if you are granted interview.

Still competitive even after interview.

:smokin

www.admissions.med.ubc.ca...202006.pdf

same here.

Unfortunately, you have not been selected for an interview. A letter and information sheets showing your academic and non-academic scores will be sent to you shortly. Dates of group advising sessions will be posted on our website.

Oh well the wait is over. Next time. Or maybe UofT.

Things always happen for a reason.

Plus the liberals are going to need a new leader soon.

I just wanted to encourage everybody that didn't get an interview. If you applied to other schools then you still have a chance. If not then think of all that you can do in the next year.

Be encouraged!!!

Guest Paulchemguy

i got an interview too, but darn, i just asked 2 of my references for reference letters like a week ago for other purposes..... now i have to ask them to write another one... argh

Guest benjibert

Hi all,

No go for me, and I am pretty disappointed.

This is my history.

March 2002: Interviewed, but rejected at final selection.

March 2003: Interviewed, but rejected at final selection.

March 2004: Interviewed, but rejected at final selection. Confirmed with admissions that A, a key weakness of mine was my prereq average, and B, if I redo them I could apply the ten-year rule to Sept 2006 admission.

Sept 2004 to May 2005: Redid prereq.

And now: rejected without an interview invitation.

No one can ever convince me that the world makes sense anymore.

Guest atworknow

It is pretty frustrating, benjibert.

Ya, it didn't really make sense that you didnt get an interview this year with the same application. Were your pre-reqs improved after retaking?

Is there any backup plan that you are thinking or try again next year?

It is an ardous process to med school.

medsmurf...are you MD/PhD applicant? that's weird about the date! strange.

As for frustrating...here's a tale:

Last year I got an interview, rejected ultimately but during the telephone advising session it turns out that I was offered an interview solely because of my Publications (gave me a 5/5 on High Performance in the NAQ section-everyone who gets 5/5 automatically gets an interview...LAST year)...or so I was told. I believe that was true considering that my AQ + NAQ was below the cut so *something* got me there. Anyway, this year i have more papers, waaaay better EXCurrs and sketch but no interview....seems like a shift in policy eh?

Newman!

K

Guest hpylori

I am an MD/PhD applicant. I already know who my interview committee is (this is only for the MD portion tho) and the date, which is Feb 26th. I am told, when I phoned the MD/PhD office, that Feb 25th/26th is when the MD interviews are and the MD/PhD interviews are either the weekend of March 4th or March 11th, I forgot which.

Hi,

I just got the interview invite as well. I am an OOP applicant and this is my second time receiving an interview.

Last year, I was waitlisted by UBC and then finally rejected around July. My interview score was high, however, the interviewers left a reservation. Apparently, I sounded "too rehersed and contrived". Which seemed pretty weird to me because 1) they still gave me a high interview score, and 2) I came out of the interview worrying that I might've sound too nervous and stuttery.

Oh well, leaving the past behind and focusing on this one now.

Guest hpylori

I have been told, and this may be an urban myth, but that UBC will generally accept an applicant if he/she has been rejected 3 times before...

Go keep on truckin' guys, cux you never know!

Guest nostalg

Hi,

I'm in province, and I just checked my online application (my heart dropped when I saw the "interview invites ARE OUT!" topic).

Got an interview. This is my second time applying to UBC. Last year I got an interview but was ultimately rejected.

Guest potential md

Yippee!! I got one too. I'm so pumped!

Question for those lucky enough to get an interview, did you get an "email confirmation"? I was just reading through the FAQ's and saw in the Associate Dean's Information Sessions info that it says "Confirmation email was sent to applicants who were invited for interview. "

Hmm, I didn't receive a confirmation email but my online application says I have an interview with a date of Feb 24th (though the time says 11:30pm vs am).

Thanks for sharing! This bulletin board rocks.

Archived