Premed 101 Forums

nighttime Biochem courses?

Guest Jochi1543

Guest TKP 123

I have never heard of any Biochem courses which are either online or at nighttime. They may be there, and just that I don't know.

I always found that higher level courses like biochem, senior chemistry, microbiology classes, etc are only offered through daytime and can't be done online.

Guest potential md

Hi there,

I looked into this quite a bit actually because I'm working full time off campus and Biochem 300 was the only prerequisite I was missing for UBC. I couldn't find any online courses (Athabasca or anywhere that has fairly well developed online courses) and SFU is mid-day whereas UBC is 8-9am 3 days per week for the full year (Sept-Apr) or everyday during the summer semester. So, I'm taking it now at UBC and I hop on the express bus after class and make it downtown to my office by 9:30am. Better than I thought.

Hope that's helpful.

Guest Jochi1543

PotentialMD, is your employer aware of where you are in the morning? If yes, aren't they ticked that you are planning to leave the company? This has been one major issue on my mind in regards to course times. I don't really see myself going to a job interview and mentioning that I plan to enroll in meds next year and that I will need to leave the office 3x a week at some funny time to go take classes that are completely irrelevant to my job.

Guest potential md

Hi Jochi,

No my employer doesn't know where I am three mornings a week, nor that I'm applying to med school. I just asked for permission to adjust my work hours to start at 9:30am or 10am (and work a 1/2-1 hour later) 3 days/week in order to take a course for "personal interest". My manager didn't ask what kind of course and because I phrased it as personal interest, it kind of closes the door to people asking. I've found that if people ask further, I just answer that I'm taking a science course and they don't ask any more. Most people aren't that nosy and when you give them vague answers they're not going to press you for an answer.

However, I understand the stress - believe me I was sweating bullets before I asked and was completely relieved by the answer of "yes" with no real questions asked. I think at the same time, he was relieved that I wasn't asking for a reduction in work hours or a "flex" schedule (which I think would have been refused). It's been working out fine all fall.

Good luck!

Guest physiology

Hey,

That's a neat little story potential_Md. Let's just hope your employer doesn't read this site :0

Anyway, BIOC 300 is also offered in the summer, and is the ONLY bioc course offered during the summer at UBC. So if you're looking to apply for meds in September 2006, you could also take BIOC 300 during the summer to satisfy the BIOC pre-req.

I am taking biochem through Athabasca and i have written confirmation that the courses are applicable to UBC pre-reqs. The courses are bio401 and chem301 in that order. I hope that helps

Archived