Premed 101 Forums

Part-time job suggestion?

Guest Paulchemguy

Guest Paulchemguy

my timetable is pretty relaxing in term2. i applied for tutoring with AMS but somehow interview delayed to jan, so not sure if i get the job or not till then..... anyone got any suggestions? i'm looking for ones that may be academic,etc, not restarurant, shops though..

thanks

criticisms, comments welcomed :)

Guest Jochi1543

I work on campus at an academic department now. While some of it is just dumb office work, I also tutor students in Russian and German and help faculty with projects. Before that, I worked at the Housing department on campus, coordinating room draws, communicating with future students and current students' insane parents, etc.

What about an internship? I had two internships in my college career, one at an affordable housing non-profit where I coordinated a seminar for local employers about employer-assisted affordable housing. Another one was at a global logistics company over the summer. If you have solid grades, no matter your major, financial institutions would usually be happy to hire you part-time.

Also, I suggest contacting research professors at your school and asking whether they need help. You probably won't be discovering Newton's IVth Law, but you may do some transcribing (which profs pay for out of their own pocket), setting up experiments and collecting/analyzing data (which is paid for by the college), etc.

if you're on student loans, work-study programs are always an option. Your employer only has to pay a portion of what you actually get paid, so it works well for both of you. There's usually a lot of options with work-study. I worked in a social psych lab scoring experiment trials behind a one-way mirror -- pretty interesting. Although I also spent alot of time entering data. Easy work nonetheless.

students.ubc.ca/careers/opportunities.cfm?page=workstudy&view=eligibility

supa

Archived