Premed 101 Forums

Interview Questions

Guest Persistent

Guest Persistent

Hey everyone,

Now that the application is over, I thought it might be helpful to start a discussion on interview questions. I realize that we are competing against each other but I think we can all benefit in different ways by discussing certain questions. Considering we're all applying to Med School, I'm sure we've all done a LOT of research about interview questions. I had an interview with UBC last year and didn't find any surprising questions. SO, I don't think we will be revealing any "secret" questions that would be advantageous if we kept to ourselves. Consider it like a debate.

If anyone is interested, my first topic of interest would be "Integrity". What is integrity in your point of view?

If no one feels like discussing this topic, I completely understand!

Cheers!

Guest GundamDX

It's my first time applying but I have read about this question at SDN and heard about it from diff. people. But do you think they'll use the same topic twice?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Integrity is a valuable characteristic among medical practitioners. So whether or not UBC, or any other medical school, will ask an interview question about integrity is less important than having a wee think about the word and its meaning to you.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Integrity is definitely important in med school and after that and well, in everything you do. For me, it involves having a thorough understanding of yourself -- your core values, your morals, your emotions -- and being able to adhere to them in difficult situations, i.e. being confident in your decisions, being accountable to them if they aren't totally correct, and even subordinating them somewhat to authority when needed. But also being able to admit when your wrong, asking for help, and expressing yourself when you're angry, sad, or stressed; and knowing that expressing these 'weaknesses' won't compromise your core values. (And not viewing them as 'weaknesses'! ) Important qualities in any career and life in general really.:smokin (NB: smoking would not be one of these qualities.)

I know from a professor who works with the admission process, and a couple of friends who were interviewed over multiple years, that they are generally keeping the questions at UBC fairly constant from year to year, all for objectivity purposes. Although (one would hope) with room for some personalized questions and discussion thrown in.

So, the integrity question and of course, the all important and broad 'why do you want to be a doctor?' questions are the only ones I've heard about. That last one for me has always been the most challenging to answer succinctly. There's so many reasons!

I wish my job right now wasnt so idle.. i spend too much time going over interview scenarios in my head!

anyone have other ideas??

• 2 weeks later...

it sounds corny, but i suggest you should "find" yourself. what are your strengths and weaknesses? what makes you tick? what makes you cry?

It seems like UBC really values self-evaluation and self-knowledge (personal observation, so don't quote me). My reason for saying so: i'm constantly being evaluated by my tutors, and constantly have to fill out self assessment forms.

g'luck.

tea

Hi,

It's early, but I thought I'd attached a list of interview (for your convenience) questions I have conjured up from a variety of sources, some I made up myself, some that are emphasized at UBC.

For me, I wrote down my responses not to memorize (that's bad - you don't want to sound scripted and risk coming across as fake"), but to seriously think about how I'd actually answer them when it came down to the interview. I think writing the answer down may actually force you to think about if that is something you'd actually wanna say. Alas, use this list to your own liking.

The questions I want you to ask yourself while you answer these questions in preparation for the interview:

- is that what I really want to say?

- is that something I am saying from the heart? That's genuine to me? Do I really mean it when I say it?

- could I answer that question no matter who asked me that(e.g. friend, co-worker, supervisor, family physician)? Could I answer it convincingly and genuinely (trust me, answering the same question can be easier with friends than with supervisors, and vice versa).

Only 2 months to go until you hear from UBC! If you have any questions, you can PM me anytime. I'll try and get back to you asap. Back to autonomic pharmacology!

Kupo

BASIC QUESTIONS

1.        Why do you want to be a doctor? Why do you want to become a physician?

2.        What are the various roles of a physician that you talk about? What have you done to work on those roles?

3.        What characteristics do you look for in a physician? What do you feel are the most important qualities in being a good doctor? (What makes a good physician? What do you want to see in a doctor when you see that person?)

4.        What characteristics do you possess that you think would make you a good physician?

5.        Why would you be a good doctor?

6.        Why medicine?

7.        What have you done to prepare yourself for medicine?

8.        Why do you think so many people want to be doctors?

9.        Why should we accept you into our program?

10.        What events or people in your life have inspired or encouraged your pursuit of medicine?

11.        What will you if you aren't accepted into medical school?

12.        What makes you special? What are your best points? What are your strengths?

13.        What are your weakest points?

14.        What do you think will be your greatest challenge in completing medical school or learning how to be a doctor?

15.        What are the pros and cons of being a doctor?

16.        In your view, what is the most pressing problem facing medicine today?

17.        How will you pay for medical school?

18.        If you could do anything different in your education, what would you do?

19.        Where else are you applying?

20.        Have you been accepted anywhere?

21.        What is your first choice?

22.        Tell me about yourself.

23.        What do you do in your spare time?

24.        How did you get here?

25.        What are your hobbies?

26.        Are you a leader or a follower? Why?

27.        It sounds like you have a preplanned answer. You sound very well prepared. Can you comment on that?

28.        What exposure have you had to the medical profession?

29.        Discuss your clinical experiences.

30.        What do you think you will like most about medicine?

31.        What do you think you will like least about medicine?

32.        How are you a match for our medical school?

33.        What are three things you want to change about yourself?

34.        How would you describe the relationship between science and medicine?

35.        Which family member has influenced your life so far and why?

36.        Who is your role model or inspiration and why?

37.        Have you ever considered nursing, and if not, why?

38.        Do you think the role of the physician is more important than that of the nurse?

39.        Why not become a researcher instead?

40.        Do you consider yourself as a role model? Any examples?

41.        Have you ever had to work in a team?

42.        Have you ever had to deal with conflict?

43.        What has been your biggest failure/weakness?

44.        Has stress ever overwhelmed you?

45.        Do you read? What have you read outside of school recently?

46.        Define Integrity. What does it mean to you?

47.        What experience have you had where your integrity was at stake?

48.        Can you give an example of where someone had lost their integrity? What about you?

49.        What experience have you had with research?

50.        Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

51.        How would your friends describe you?

52.        Do you have any alternate plans should you not receive acceptance?

53.        Describe any significant events in your life.

54.        How do you feel about your family?

55.        What would you like to be as a doctor?

56.        Tell me of the last joke that you heard?

Oh, in response to the other posts in this thread, each response to any question is your own. So put a personal experience behind responses to as many questions as you can.

After all, admissions wants to know you. What better way to answer the questions than to add in a personal anecdote behind it?

Kupo

Wow, that's quite a list. Very interesting.

I think #27 is my favourite, haha.

wrong answer: "well, I, um, err, went to an interview coach, because, I, uh, have a hard time focusing under pressure...."

oh ya,

my first interview (i got in on the second try), i was asked questions 1-6 in the first 20 minutes. safe to say, i wasnt convincing them of my reasons for entering medicine.

kupo

Guest not rex morgan

re: question 27, how about...."well I got asked all of those questions the last four times I applied and interviewed. I'm just hoping this is my lucky year." :b

Guest benjibert

"Preplanned answers for preplanned questions. Does that not sound sensible? :) "

Nah, do not go this route. You piss some interviewer off then you are done.

Archived