Premed 101 Forums

Grades

Guest baloobizoo

Guest Jochi1543

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I know the English requirements for getting into a North American college since I'm not a native speaker myself. Very few people ever guess that English is not my first language, especially now that my accent is practically non-existent. Yet I still made some mistakes on the TOEFL, despite getting a score well above the required minimum. This person could never get in to any college with this level of English - you can't get around the admissions requirements. So yeah, my 2 cents.:rolleyes

Guest scrubbed

Adduction,

For example,

Discipline, First Choice Discipline %, Total Choices, Offered

Dermatology 15 1.1% 6 0.4%

COMPETITIVE!

In this case, 15 applicants, representing 1.1% of the applicants, ranked dermatology as their # one choice.

They were competing for 6 positions, representing 0.4% of the available residency positions.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your first year at UBC.

Guest TKP 123

2 questions:

1. Are the PBL instructors selected by Faculty of Medicine the residents with a MD degree? Or are they profs or instructors from the departments?

2. Question for scrubbed, as for Dermatology, there are 15 applicants competing for 6 positions, the chance of getting into Dermatology is something like 30-40%. Then isn't it a pretty good chance already? It is just like getting into UBC Medical School for in-province applicants?

Thanks,

TKP

simply looking at percentages to determine levels of competitiveness won't tell the entire story. statistically, about 1/4 of in-province applicants get into ubc. but this doesn't mean that you have a 25% chance of admission simply by applying right?

you have to consider the selection bias of programs such as dermatology. derm applicants are generally going to be very competitive to start with. people know what it takes to get into programs such as this so they start their quest from very early on.

by the numbers, running for president of the US carries a success rate of about 14%. doesn't mean that it's easier to become president than it is to get into ubc as an oop applicant though.

i don't know what you have to go through to become a ubc pbl tutor.

as far as credentials: so far, i've had grad students, an md, basic science faculty, and administrative faculty. it's a fairly open process.

Guest TKP 123

Interesting. The way I see that 15 people applying for 6 spots, probably means the chance is not that low...

Of course, these 15 applicants are probably all strong, but if you are one of these 15 folks, the chance of getting into derm isn't horribly bad.

TKP

Guest physiology

Hey Cutieyellow,

I'm glad you disagreed. Boy has my French deteriorated over these years. I used to be pretty fluent.

Anyway - I didn't really bother to read the message, and just glanced at the nice use of accents and such, and thought his French looked pretty kosher.

Physio

It's called self-selection. The people who apply to derm already have a stellar application. A guy from the bottom of his class (with no research, nothign stellar) could apply to derm, but his chance of getting in would probably be miniscule, whereas if you're one of those 15 with stellar research, grades, letters, etc. would have a much greater chance. Applying to med school and residency isn't a lottery. Despite the randomness we'd like to attribute to the process, peopel still judge on merit.

Archived