Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted

Guest acarpent1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Filledunord

Actually, I'm going a little mad....the NOSM email is just sitting in my inbox, twiddling its thumbs and whistling, while I courageously try to ignore its presence....

Very "white elephant in the room" !

:\

Guest NorthernDancer

I appear to have posted in the wrong spot under Moderator. My apologies. Couldn't figure out how to move it. My questions? How many wait spots are there? When do we find out our spot on the list? How many are likely to ultimately "make the cut"?

Guest Filledunord

So I checked it, and I was rejected.

19 years in Northern Ontario before moving to the south for school, and I am francophone. Good xtra curriculars, research experience, etc., However, my GPA isn't great....

oh well. good luck to everyone and congrats to those who got spots.

Guest kingrad

fille,

you sound like NOSM's poster girl candidate. I cant believe you didnt get in. Is the gpa that low? (not meaning to pry)...just curious. Im trying to figure out if its worth it to apply again. With NOSM's weighting formula...im at a 3.55 avg-which i thought was low.

Guest Filledunord

Oh it's lower than that....I think my weighted GPA is something like 3.3 Unfortunately, I suffer from chronic depression, and have had some holes in my undergrad transcript that reflect the ailment.

I have been relatively stable for the last two years, and was hoping to try for my lifelong dream of medicine (which I had put aside years ago because I did not think I was competent enough....a reflection of the illness I suppose) but unfortunately, poor GPAs cannot be overlooked.

I mentioned during the interview how my struggle with depression inspired me to work in the field of medicine, but I can't help but wonder if it simply worked against me, rather than showing that I have learned from and been inspired by my own dismal experiences in the limited mental health services available to Northern Ontario. There is still sooo much stigma surrounding mental illness. I am trying to set an example by talking openly about my own experiences, but it may have backfired.

(Not that I think that my history of mental illness is the only reason why I was not accepted...I think it is simply because there are so many great candidates out there, and I just don't make the cut).

Guest Anna

Does anyone know when we find out about waitlist positions? I want to actually know if I have a good chance of getting in later this summer, or if like Ottawa "we regret to inform you that do to your ranking on the waitlist, it is unlikely you will receive an offer of admission"....such a nice way to reject you it does not feel like a rejection at all LOL.

Oye, this waiting business is for the birds :P

Anna :)

Guest cpmcrry

I got rejected again this year and am from Northern Ontario (Grew up in Northeastern - currently living in Northwestern). I did get into Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland in March though so it looks like I'll be moving since the Canadian schools don't seem to want me. I was even willing to give up 4 000 euro in order to go to NOSM!

Oh well - congrats to all the people that did get in and good luck to all the people on the waitlist!

Guest spidey077

although the longer wait is going to be hell on earth, I must say kudos to NOSM for not putting the outcome in the selection process in the subject line of the email...unlike a certain other place...who shall remain nameless!

I know it isn't a big deal, but I like to having that last little glimmer of hope while opening the mail. Nothing like sealing your fate in the subject line...its like stamping the outside of a letter with the result..why bother putting it in an envelope! hahah :D

sorry for the rant.....;)

Guest swissgal

Ok, so I've got a 3.9 GPA, a lot of volunteering, research experience including 4 publications and 18 years in rural Ontario, but was rejected. So... for anyone feeling down about the rejection letters... keep in mind that the competition is FIERCE, and it says alot just to have been offered an interview!! Take what you learned from your experience this year and kick some butt next year!! To all of those offered a spot at NOSM, CONGRATS!! To anyone on the waitlist or reapplying next year... best of luck!!!!

Guest KerriD

I'm trying to be positive, but I'm finding it difficult right now, to be honest. I was waitlisted last year and this year I was completely rejected by the school. I'm hugely disappointed as I haven't changed all that much since last year and neither has my profile. I can't help but feel like "if I was good enough to make your wait list last year, then surely that should carry some weight this year." Unfortunately, it doesn't and this is the position I'm now in. I too don't have the most stellar GPA and I'm not sure about re-applying because I will ALWAYS have this GPA, unless I go and complete a Master's program and I think it will always be an impediment to me. It's unfortunate that many well rounded, hard working and smart individuals are repeatedly penalized for grades that were achieved years earlier. I think less emphasis should be placed on marks and that's not just because I don't have the best grades either. There is a lot to be said for compassion and a caring bed side manner. Good luck to those who did get in! though. :)

Guest swissgal

I'm pretty sure getting a master's adds an extra .2 to your GPA... that's HUGE when you consider its only out of 4.0. I actually didn't even consider applying to medical school until I was in my second year of a master's in Epidemiology (I'll be finished in July). To be honest, I'm so glad I did the Master's because it made me realize how beneficial an interest in lifelong learning would be in the medical profession and also that clinicians with research training have a career advantage. In any event, I know its not easy for anyone (including myself) to get the rejection notice, but you did get an interview... and that says alot!!!!

Guest popcorn girl

swissgal,

i am stupified that you did not get in with your GPA, background, postal code, publications, i have to wonder how they made the decisions, i hope you applied and get in elsewhere. my plan B is a masters and will apply again, but wont hold my breathe given what i am seeing today.

Guest swissgal

Popcorn girl,

I knew right after my interview that it wasn't meant to be this year. I was suffering from an acute sinus infection and given the circumstances did the best I could. It was difficult to concentrate and to be chipper during the interview process and I was just glad to leave and head home so I could rest again. Things happen for a reason and I'll just try again... As for getting in elsewhere, I only applied to NOSM because I am really interested in underserved populations. My parents were missionaries in africa and the bulk of my research has been in the area of developmental disabilities... so I really have a passion for underserved populations. However, I think I'll apply to more schools next year and see what happens.

Guest KerriD

Hi Swissgal,

Thanks for the info on the Master's. I do have a further question. If I started a Master's in Sept (which I've already applied to), marks wouldn't be submitted to NOSM until I was in my final year? However, if you are in the Master's at the time of application, does that count for anything, even if you aren't at a point where your marks can be taken into consideration?

Thanks

Kerri

Guest anadaki

Hi, I would not feel that bad into not getting into NOSM, I chose this school for this reason and I am disappointed. The school is not as unique as they appear to be. If you really want to work in underserved populations, I would apply to another school, there are many advantages to that. NOSM is getting started and perhaps in the future they will meet that but in the interm, nothing special going on here. My heart goes out to those who did not get in, and to those who did I look forward to seeing new faces in the fall.

Guest Axolotl

Hello,

In response to Anadaki's previous comment, all I can say is that as a NOSM student, you will have the unique opportunity of shaping your learning experience. There are many students who have shown early interest in serving underserviced medical areas, by choosing a first year placement in a remote/isolated aboriginal reserve and immersing themselves within that community.

However, there are others who simply go through the motions and select placements based on their proximity to Thunder Bay or Sudbury, choosing to avoid community experiences. It is unfortunate that some of these students will go out of their way to say that NOSM is not fulfilling its mandate.

If you want to serve an underserviced population, NOSM will provide you that opportunity. If you do not, then unfortunately there are strategies that a few students have used to ensure that their community involvement becomes as limited as possible. In a self-directed learning environment such as NOSM, the decision is yours to make.

To those of you who did not receive immediate admission on this anticipated day, do not give up hope. Take some time to reflect on your interview answers, and try to identify any areas that may be improved upon for next year. When there are 2200 applicants and only 56 spots to be filled, even the smallest improvement may make a world of difference.

For those of you who will be joining our school in the fall, I would like to welcome you. Our class is very excited to meet you!

Guest swissgal

Hi KerryD,

I'm pretty sure you only get the GPA benefit from a Master's once the degree has been granted. However, there is nothing stopping you from writing about you Master's level training in your answers to the NOSM questions (or any school for that matter). I wote about how epidemiology has influenced my career decisions, and how it would benefit my ability to contribute to the medical profession. This all helps to strengthen your application...

Guest DFIB

Hi guys,

I agree with Axolotl 100% NOSM provides you with choices in regards to your placements, and you as a student get to determine what your priorities are. If you seek to go to Adawapiskat (sp?), Deer Lake, or Fort Albany for 4 weeks to see what health care delivery is like in Canada's remote communities, well then NOSM is for you. If you still like the school's mandate, but have a family or some other reason as to why you want to stay close to home, you can. NOSM has several placements in or near Sudbury and Thunder Bay. However, I cant imagine why someone would be critical of the schools mandate to focus on underserviced populations. I know for a fact that you wont find a better place than NOSM if that is what truly attracts you to medicine.

DFIB

NOSM class of 2009

Archived