Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted

Guest acarpent1

Guest Isoceles

Anna, Fille, Souvenir, and everyone:

Sorry to drop off of the board for so long... I needed a little time to cope. :\

Nada for me. No waitlist, nothing.

I'm okay now, and I can finally start to get excited for England, but I need some time to be sad first. Ya know.

Souvenir and Anna (who is as good as accepted!) - CONGRATS!! That is SO awesome... it's comforting to know that at least some people who I know are great candidates and just good people got in!

Fille: I am really truly shocked. I think that really sucks, and I feel for you. (And I understand how much it hurts!) BUT, don't give up!!!!! I am going into a 4th application cycle, and I know I will go in to at least a 5th if need be. It's not that we aren't good candidates - we have already proven that we are (and this goes for tonnes of other people coping with less than great news right now), it's just that with so many applicants and so few spots, SOME of this process has to come down to luck. And how do you beat that luck - PERSISTANCE, and, as my family and I like to call it right now, RESILIANCE. If this is really for you - you HAVE to keep at it, and I really believe that eventually it will work out. Starting in on this next application cycle I have earned my spot as a non-traditional applicant (I will be 25 this summer) and as a becoming-seasoned-expert on the roller coaster that is med school application. so, DAMMIT, I am going to write these corny, motivational (I hope) posts!!! LOL

But really, Fille, hang in there. Last year, more than anything, I just DIDN'T WANT that year to be... if I wasn't in medicine I just felt like I was wasting my life... but it turned out to be a great year for me in many ways, and I know this one will too.

In the grand scheme of things, it's only a year, and

WE CAN DO THIS! :)

Congrats to all celebrating; and my thoughts are with everyone who is taking the next little while to heal and then keep on going.

K.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest acarpent1

Isoceles..

I know what you mean about having to heal.. and how it's hard to get excited about even a great plan B in the meantime. I know that I will have to do a year in my plan B to get my grades up and THEN apply.. which means at least 2 years doing things that aren't meds.. and that feels so long.. I'll be at least 25 when I get in, maybe older if I don't get it on my next try (in two years) and that's hard.. not because it's old.. but because being in school until age 30+ seems like it will take a LOT away from my life.. it's hard to think of being in school as a real life.. god I'm sad.. it's just that how do you get married and have babies when you're in perpetual school? .. i hope it's for the best.. and I don't want to wish my life away, but it's really hard not to.. I want two years to go by fast.. |I

Guest student 2009

This comment is in response to the one posted by anadaki. It is unfortunate that someone from our charter class would discourage students from applying to NOSM.

As a student, I truly believe that this school is doing a fabulous job of making students aware of the problems and challenges associated with health care in the Northern Ontario region. Obviously, as this is their first "kick at the cat” there are some things that aren’t as great as we would hope, but as the first generation of students to go through NOSM we really have the opportunity to shape the way this school delivers their curriculum.

I want to say to all students out there that anadaki's comments are not reflective of the class as a whole. After speaking to a number of students regarding this comment I have confidence in saying that the majority of students are VERY satisfied with their experience and are very happy that they chose NOSM.

That being said, if you got in we can't wait to meet you in the fall ! and to those who will have to try again next year we wish you the best of luck!!

Guest nursetobedoc

In response to the email from person who was worried about being old etc. by the time that they get in.

I think that you need to change your perspective. It sounds as if you are "waiting for life to begin" and that this will not occur until you are done school. Whatever you are doing know is your life, embrace it. There is always going to be some hurdle to get over - whether it is getting into med schoo, getting through residency, starting your practice, getting married. My suggestion would be start working on the balance of life now. I was no young spring chicken entering NOSM and I am living life as if I have started my career - I will have children when it works for me, I will be getting married while in school - life is now, start living it!

Good luck and dont give up hope

Guest acarpent1

thanks ntbd,

I know that you're right.. the next two years just feel so daunting and so long right now. I'm sad, dissapointed & regretful that I let some of my grades slip unnecessarily in my undergrad. It'll all be fine.. it's just a tough period. I really appreciate your response..

Guest popcorn girl

i would feel better if there was more transparency in the process, our interview scores, how the other 50% is calculated, etc. then i would know whether or not to reapply. I really would like a composite score and am not sure why they cannot reveal one to us?

it burns my butt that people last year and this year, have no intention of working (even during school) in the northern or underserved areas, why arent they held to that-they must have lied and are using valuable space. i have lived in the north although not in ON most of my life and would never work in a big city (other than residency).

Plan B, is just that. if i had made this elongated wait list i would have some sense of worth, i too am trying to heal and get energy level up.

iso, would you really go to england for 1 yr then come back?? now the CaRMs is improved for IMGs no reason not to go, enjoy the scenery and get done, it is more expensive but you are one step closer. i am rethinking it myself.

Guest KerriD

I think everyone just has to take some time and really think about what is right for them. I've had a lot of ppl say to me "oh well, it wasn't meant to be," along with all of the other cliches. I'm trying not to think that way and instead really reflect on what motivated me to apply twice and why exactly I want to be a doctor. I'm gaining some perspective from that and definitely regaining my drive to re-apply. We all did really well to get an interview and as I was told at the interviews, all 400 of us would have made fantastic doctors, but they just can't accomodate that number, obviously. I too was feeling a little long in the tooth as I"m 26 and each year that passes is another year that I"m not furthering my education or where I ever thought I would be at this point. I think the richness of life experience in these years though is something I'm really going to start appreciating. So thanks for that. comment.

Kerri

Guest NurseNathalie

I personally didn't think negatively of NOSM by reading Adanaki's post... I would be a little concerned if everything I ever saw/heard/read were only the positive aspects of the school... the school IS new.. I'm sure there ARE some issues .. perhaps little issues - not insurmountable issues- but EVERY program has its issues... and we are all impacted differently by different things... obviously, Adanaki has a certain view on this.. and maybe its shared by others as well... so, its important to hear that message too :)

I don't think it would change someone's mind about attending, but certainly, its good to hear both sides- so ppl can be better informed to make their decisions.

and lastly.. popcorn, just wanted to add that 'underserviced' has a very different meaning in this day and age... nearly every city in Ontario (big and small) is underserviced! but... I know what you meant (I think).

Guest Isoceles

Oh, no, I'm not going to England for med, Popcorn girl... sorry for the confusion!

I have been accepted to a 1-year MA program there and will be doing that.

I am actually really getting past the NOSM rejection now and am extremely excited and happy about my upcoming year!

...it helps that so many of my friends and family are so excited and proud of this masters program... which I had been really downplaying to myself because of its plan B status.

Today I went to my family doctor and she told me, in all seriousness, that she thought it was a much bigger deal to get into the program than if I had gotten accepted into medicine! lol

I don't feel that, but it was still a nice ego boost (for a still sort of pouting ego!) to hear! :P

Guest doobs25

To everyone that got waitlisted, I hope this helps you a bit... I got accepted at NOSM and Ottawa, and am from Northern Ontario, french applicant. But I will be going to Ottawa for Medschool, so 1 spot is definitley going to open up... hope some of you get ine... good luck and keep your hopes alive

Doobs

Guest Newfierunner

Just wanted to give everyone some more good news...I have been accepted to NOSM and U of T and will be going to U of T in the fall (even though it was a very hard decision to turn down NOSM's offer!). So there is another spot on the list open! Good luck!

Guest Anna

Heya Isoceles,

Sounds like your year will be filled with grand adventure and much learning. England has always been at the top of my list to visit and here you are going there! Make sure to do some sight seeing so I can live vicariously through you!!!!!

Also, thank you kindly doob and newfie! It really DOES help those of us on the waitlist when we know for certain people are heading elsewhere....Best of luck to you at your respective med schools!

Cheers,

Anna :)

Guest kingrad

Nurse2bedoc,

I just wanted to tell you thanks for posting that comment about living life NOW.....

I too was pretty bummed about the rejection and had thoughts of fastwording to a year from now for the next application cycle. Anyways...ya, your comments have inspired a new way of thinking for me and I just wanted to say thanks.....bc you've changed my perspective on things...for the better.

Guest krismd

Hey All,

I'm new here, and have been waitlisted for NOSM (#18) and Ottawa. I'm just trying to get an idea of how quickly the waitlists are going to move.

So if you are on the waitlist and hear anything please let us know! Thanks also to those who are informing us about their decision to go elsewhere! Really helps keep us waitlisters hopeful!

Kris

Guest Matt66GT

Chins up waiters....

I can't imagine how hard this must be still waiting and waiting.

I know two on the waitlist who are quite high who have accepted elsewhere.

Get ready for monday (again) and some more action!!

Good luck!

Guest krismd

Thanks Matt!

I already know of 4 who have for sure accepted elsewhere too! That's at least 6 out that we know of! So the wait appears to be getting shorter and shorter thank god! Not sure how much longer we can all hang in there!!

Ps, congrats Matt and hopefully see you in Sept!

Guest Icarus07

Kris.

I know waiting is probably torture, but at number 18, you're in great shape. I don't know where you are on the Ottawa list, but I'd start making plans to attend NOSM in the fall. Congrats.

Archived