Premed 101 Forums

Dissection

Guest Isoceles

Guest Isoceles

In the interest of not hijacking the "Sudbury interviews" thread, thought I'd continue this on here:

Anadaki said

HI in response to your note, we do not have a section for anatomy or dissection, all of our curriculm is integrated. Other schools donate sections to us for the day so we can view them but we do not dissect. There are many advantages to this school but that is not one of them.

I was thinking about this the other day too (lack of opportunity for cadaver dissection at NOSM). I know that some say its overrated and that alot of people at other schools choose not to do it anyway... BUT, if one was really interested I wonder if it would at least be possible to go see some postmortems?

Not quite the same, but might be useful if you are really concerned about getting a grasp of this area....

... I think I am thinking about this too much right now as I am writing an essay involving the metaphorical use of dissection...:P

Guest peachy
BUT, if one was really interested I wonder if it would at least be possible to go see some postmortems?
I don't know anything about NOSM, but I happened to see this thread. At U of T, we had a lecture from a pathologist a few months ago, and he went on and on about how every medical student should observe an autopsy at some point during their training. I'm quite certain that any medical student, no matter what school they go to, can arrange to go watch an autopsy (or more than one, if you're so inclined) if you want to.

Guest northerndoc

The pathologist here has been amazing at helding us arrange times to join him. It is an excellent teaching time, as it is one on one and gives you a good chance to explore the gross anatomy a bit more. The variations of normal anatomy are also interesting and important to appreciate. Dissection is a time consuming process, and the nice part of the prosected is that we have a lot more time to focus on learning where each orgin etc. is, rather than spending the time on the disection. Though there are positives to both.

Guest Axolotl

Hello :)

Just to add to what northerndoc has said. The pathologist in Thunder Bay (Dr. Escott) really has been excellent for the students on the West campus. He has asked any students who are interested to give him their phone number and he calls people on the list whenever there is an autopsy to be performed.

I have spent a few days with him and had the opportunity to do some dissecting. I think I spent 2-3 hours one morning just dissecting the brain alone...with the pathologist all to myself :)

The TBRHSC have hired a few more pathologists who will be in place for the fall...so there should not be any shortage of opportunities for those students who are really interested in getting their hands 'dirty'.

Guest NACHO174

Hey y'all

yes this is an interesting topic. I just had a conversation with one of Laurentians M.D's and he agrees that dissections are an unnecessary portion of medical school curriculum. He says as long as you get your hands on prosections thats all you need.

I have some wicked-cool human dissection videos from Dr Von Hagens....he's a bit creepy but the vids are amazing!

You can download them here, you will need a torrent downloader though:

Torrent downloader:

www.bitlord.com/download.php

Von hagen dissection videos:

www.mininova.org/search/?...+beginners

I found an article on the medical school vs cadaver stuff

www.rcsed.ac.uk/journal/s...00003.html

later,

Nacho.

Guest acarpent1

Hey,

We actually get to dissect full cadavers during our undergrad at guelph (if you're in HK or biomedical science), and while it is incredibly cool and interesting, the actual "dissecting" takes a long time (and honestly, you're not learning much when you're spending hours just getting rid of fat), and personally, although it's definately a cool experience, I think it would be a LOT more efficient to simply look at already-dissected specimens. (just my opinion though8o )

• 4 years later...

thanks for bringing this up, and good to learn about other options. when i was in massage school we got the chance to go to the chiro college in T.O. to spend an afternoon with 2 donors. we did not do any dissections but we were able to handle everything, and after spending 1.5 years on just muscles alone it was great to actually see them. but the best moment i had was when i picked up a gall bladder and squeezed out these beautiful garnet colored stones...

• 2 weeks later...
Hello :)

Just to add to what northerndoc has said. The pathologist in Thunder Bay (Dr. Escott) really has been excellent for the students on the West campus. He has asked any students who are interested to give him their phone number and he calls people on the list whenever there is an autopsy to be performed.

I have spent a few days with him and had the opportunity to do some dissecting. I think I spent 2-3 hours one morning just dissecting the brain alone...with the pathologist all to myself :)

The TBRHSC have hired a few more pathologists who will be in place for the fall...so there should not be any shortage of opportunities for those students who are really interested in getting their hands 'dirty'.

Hi! I realize that a lot of the posts on here are from a while ago... but I wanted to say that I got to work at the TBRHSC last summer with Dr. Escott. I am not (yet :P) a medical student, but it was the coolest thing I have ever done to work with him! Dr. Escott is welcoming to all - When I was working with him, he had med students and residents to precept, but he was always very willing to facilitate learning, no matter what. Not only that but he is funny and good-natured!

To all medical students/med students-to-be at NOSM... Try to get in on an autopsy with Dr. Escott!!! You will learn a LOT. Pathology is incredibly interesting!

Archived