Premed 101 Forums

Interview prep

Guest snowrocks

Guest snowrocks

During a friend of mine's debriefing in the summer (for not receiving entrance), Dr.Konkin suggested she read the Klassen (spelling??) report to prepare for this year's interview. We couldn't figure out what this could be; does anyone know?

Guest Matt66GT

The Klassen report is.....are you ready for this???

A report written by a guy named Klassen.

Yes, it's true. I kid you not.

His name is Don (maybe Dan, I forget as I read last year) and he's an MD in Manitoba with a part time rural practice and doing work for Manitoba Health for recruiting and further rural medicine.

The report (the one I read) is a 3yr business plan for the yrs 2003-06 discussing the needs rural medicine in Manitoba faces and what the next steps should be over the upcoming 3yrs.....

I have a hard copy somewhere - will try and find it.

Guest priapismsarebad

I wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone read specific articles... just practice answering tons of questions the way the interview will be run.

Most of the questions last year were "easier" ethical dilemmas. You won't be drilled with Northern Health Issues questions, but it would be great to discuss these into your answers if they fit.

Guest northerndoc

Hi,

Congratulations to all of those who have recieved interviews. This is the first step in the exciting journey. I know there are tons of people giving you advice about what to say, how to be, what is best etc. so my two cents perhaps is worth little (but as a charter class member it is the best I can give). I recommend having fun with this... be yourself... be honest... and no amount of interview prep will give you this. The MMI is an interview that is planning to challenge you all to think on your feet, go with the flow, and let your personality (with strengths and weakness ) be presented to the interview committee. There are many doors, with different faces behind them, sell yourself and your dream to them as you answer the questions, there are no "wrong" answer as long as you support them with insight, care, compassion and thought. Good luck... and if there is anything that I can do to support you's please don't hesitate to ask!!

Guest NurseNathalie

Actually, there is a lot of research out there about the MMI process and why its a better overall assessment of the applicant than a one-on-one interview. Kevin Eva et al has published a few (he works here).

You can find a list of some of the articles here (so you can search them specifically):

65.39.131.180/ContentPage...References

you can also do a search for 'Multiple Mini Interviews' and see what comes up

this site is actually very helpful too. YOu can do a search on ezboard- all the things we discuss have been discussed every year before interviews - may be worth looking back into the archives :)

Guest priapismsarebad

I agree with the "have fun with it" comment. The interview process is NOT meant to put students under pressure. The admissions committe takes every measure to make this enjoyable for all involved. It is important to try to chill and let the real you come through.

That being said, this does not mean you shouldn't practice! :rolleyes

Archived