Premed 101 Forums

The waiting game

Guest docormama

my flight last year to thunderbay .... 1400 dollars. LOL Everything mentioned thus far is a drop in the bucket.

Last year we were told on a Thursday and it was Feb 10th. Looks like next week folks. Later

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest professore76

The horror! I can't wait anymore. I think NOSM should send a letter out in early January stating, " you might be getting an interview or you have no chance and you should consider taking up basket weaving."

$1400 to Thunder Bay?! I can go to Cancun for $1300, stay in a 4 star hotel, lie on the beach, sun tan, rest.......but that wouldn't make me as happy as flying out to Thunder Bay to potentially realize my dream of becoming a physician.

Goodluck Monday

PS - i heard that U of T and Ottawa will increase enrolment over the next few years. Any word that NOSM will increase as well? I think 75 is a nice number.

I just went to Air Canada's website and went through booking a flight (although I didn't actually book it).....379.15 from Ottawa to Thunder Bay (via Toronto) and that's return, too...perhaps these other folks are coming from further away...

Cheers,

Kevin

The crazy thing guys was that was the best price i could get. That also meant that I had to stay in Tbay for 4 nights....put the hotel costs and food on that ..(over 2000 grand total). YIKEs...LOL. You are right prof to realize a dream it was worth it.

Guest professore76

I think Air Canada purposely increases ticket prices to Thunder Bay and Sudbury as soon as interview invites are sent out by NOSM. It's simple supply and demand. At least i get aeroplan points. Maybe a local family will take me in for the night? Where's the Northern hospitality? I can be quite entertaining. Anyone want to take me in for the night?

Guest Axolotl

Hey guys,

Reading your posts brings back memories from last year. My friends had gotten emails and I didn't. I called the school and they said to wait for the letter and wouldn't tell me whether I was on the interview list or not. I waited...and waited...and finally came to the conclusion that I must have screwed up on my application somehow. On the deadline day to accept the interviews I got a phone call from the postoffice saying that I had a priority package sitting there for a week...they had tried to deliver it to the house when I wasn't home...and obviously did not put the notification slip in a very secure place.

Anyways, I promptly faxed in my interview acceptance to NOSM and read everything I could find on the Ontario healthcare system, general medical ethical issues...pretty much anything I thought could help me prepare for the interview. A few weeks later I checked my junk email box and found the interview email from NOSM in there. All I'm trying to get at...is that you might be able to save yourself a lot of stress by checking your junkmail when the offers are sent out!

By the way...I have signed up to billet a potential student for the interview weekend...but if anybody is really stuck at the last minute, let me know...there is always space for one more.

Good luck

Guest professore76

Your story sounds like destiny! i hope i find an interview in my junk mail folder. I really hope the e-mail invitations come out on Monday. I can't take the pressure! The horror!

For those of you in the GTA, i recommend going to Science Centre to view the BodyWorlds2 exhibit. I even saw a few medical students taking notes. It was quite amusing.

Guest kingrad

NurseNathalie,

Actually...I didnt get a chance to go to the one you organized last year. I went to the one that was organized at U of T for the McMaster MMI's. But I heard yours was good!

Guest professore76

Where is everyone? I'm guessing they're on some of the other message boards complaining about all the other schools. Ottawa this, and toronto that, and Mac blah blah blah. Even if i don't get an interview at NOSM, i'll never bad mouth the school. I just think NOSM would be better off with me as a student than not.

Guest 24medgirl

From early discussion in this post. I think invites and rejections will come by e-mail.

Mid-February, as per NOSM website. Also for your info:

October 2005 - January 2006 Application Screening

Mid-February 2006 Invitations sent to interviewees and notices sent to unsuccessful candidates (via e-mail & post mail)

March 18 & 19, 2006 Interviews in Thunder Bay

April 1 & 2, 2006 Interviews in Sudbury

May 15, 2006 Provisional Offers of Admission sent (via e-mail & post mail)

Guest professore76

Tomorrow is the big day? How is everyone coping? I've been meditating all weekend and i've eliminated all the stress associated with the waiting game.

I hope all of you get an exciting e-mail tomorrow.

Professore

Guest Icarus07

I'm at the school and the original word I heard from admissions was that it would be today or tomorrow of this week. So don't get too worried yet.

(I wouldn't even get worried tommorrw because there are a million reasons they might be late.)

Guest professore76

Valentine's Day Massacre! I guess they come out tomorrow. There was an earlier post that they would be sent out by the 13th of February. There must be some minor delay. Or none of us reading this post today were invited for an interview! LOL C'est la vie! Bonne chance!

Wouldn't it be romantic if i recieved an invitation on Valentine's Day. I think i'm going to go by myself some white chocolate truffles from Godiva.

Guest fingerscrossed06

It was easier waiting to hear replies from the other schools because I wasn't really waiting on a specific day- I had no idea when they were going to come. Now I've been compulsively checking my email. It has been hard to study for midterms. It would be nice if I could just block it out of my mind!

Although it would be very difficult, I have always felt that schools ought to set a specific day when they will grant admissions or interviews. So people can keep working without worrying, have a drink in peace, or actually get some sleep.

I hate it when we know it will be Mid-Feb (not just NOSM, many schools give a ball park range) and then we have to wait every day. I mean lets face it ..... what some of us were feeling last night (stress/anxiety) we will most certainly be feeling it again tonight.

Good luck people....

Guest grandmellon

"Wouldn't it be romantic if i recieved an invitation on Valentine's Day. I think i'm going to go by myself some white chocolate truffles from Godiva. "

:rollin

Mmmmmm Chocolate truffles... you've got my stomach growling!

I hope it is a valentines present for us.

Sending love your way this Valentines day!

lol

GM

Archived