Guest docormama

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest docormama

Mid-February, as per NOSM website. Also for your info:

October 2005 - January 2006 Application Screening

Mid-February 2006 Invitations sent to interviewees and notices sent to unsuccessful candidates (via e-mail & post mail)

March 18 & 19, 2006 Interviews in Thunder Bay

April 1 & 2, 2006 Interviews in Sudbury

May 15, 2006 Provisional Offers of Admission sent (via e-mail & post mail)

You guys think that if you got an interview last year that you will probably get one this year? I know that you would think logically that it makes sense that you will get an interview unless they change something in their initial screening (or better applicant pool). My gpa was higher than average, my extra curriculars have gotten better since last year, and I am still from a rural community in canada.

There has been some speculation from non Northern Ontarioans that perhaps this year they might screen harder for out of area kids that don't really stand a chance. Only to save them a trip out there.

I hate this....lol. The waiting game..yuck. Best of luck to you all

Guest docormama

You guys think that if you got an interview last year that you will probably get one this year?

I hope so! Like you, my GPA, EC's, etc. were also better. If I didn't get an invite, I would wonder how badly I screwed up on my application!

Guest professore76

Does anyone know if any non-rural, non-northern students were interviewed last year? And are there any City Slickers in the charter class? By the looks of it everyone was either raised or is living in a rural or northern community. Is this an example of reverse discrimination?

Let's have some interesting discussions as we wait for the admissions committee to seal our fate. I'm planning on being the first non-Northern, non-rural, fully urban student in this year's class! OK- probably not - but a guy can dream, can't he? Is there any good ice fishing in Sudbury or Thunder Bay? Just curious if NOSM is considering having a mascot? Any suggestions?

I think i'm gonna send this link to Dr. Strasser at NOSM - maybe he'll get a good kick out of it? Do you think any of the admissions committee members actually read these posts?

I'm about 99.9% certain that i won't get an interview so i'm gonna try and help the rest of you get an interview/accepted for a fee of $150 CDN. I want to get my application money back and buy a new pair of KICKS (i.e. running shoes). Keep hope alive!

Guest anadaki

Just in response to your reply, there are a few students in our class, who are non-northern, non-rural, fully urban, so there is hope that you may get in, just keep believing. I fit into two of those catergories with :hat partially urban, you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest professore76

oh - Anadaki, so you're not completely urban? That's what i thought. Not a single person in the charter class from Urban Canada. C'est la vie!

Guest anadaki

To answer your question, I have been living in a city of 1million + for the past 7 years so I do consider myself urban. However I grew up in a community with a population of less than 500, so I am a bit of both. If you are wondering if there are people who are completely urban in our class, yes there are many of them.

Guest professore76

Thanks Anadaki. That's what i wanted to hear. This is my first time applying to medical school and i put all my eggs in NOSM. We'll see how things go.

Guest professore76

How many people are interview? I would imagine somewhere around 250. That should be more than enough to fill 56 spots. Will interviews be by e-mail or regular letter mail? Does anyone have any info about the interview process?

Guest professore76

Thanks Anadaki. 1 in 400 shot is not bad. What is a multiple mini-interview? So i'm assuming you rotate from room-to-room for an hour? In each room you're presented with a different scenario? If so, sounds like fun. I don't want specific details about questions, just the general design of the interview. If i wore a bow tie to the interview, would it be too much? LOL I personally like bow ties, but i have a really big neck and head so it looks funny on me. Any suggestions?

Guest anadaki

I think the tie will get you in for sure. THE MMI are just that 10 interviews each 10 minutes long. I am not sure if I can comment on the content, but all I can remember is that the questions are vague and real no way to prepare. Good Luck hope to see you in March or April.

Guest Axolotl

Hey guys,

In terms of preparation for the MMI...there are ways that you can prepare. Anadaki is correct that there will be interview questions which will assess your problem solving abilities and overall character...which you can't really prepare for...however, last year there were other questions (about LHINs for example and their possible impact on healthcare provision in northern Ontario). If you are from out of province or if you just don't have a good grasp on the various health care issues in northern Ontario, I would recommend some prep work.

Guest professore76

Thanks Anadaki and Axolotl. I figure there would be a number of questions addressing healthcare concerns specific to Northern Ontario. So i'll definitely review the issues.

Bow tie or regular tie?

Guest Axolotl

dho,

First, I think the questions are only confidential during the interview year. Since the interviewees on the Saturday aren't supposed to talk about the questions to those who are interviewing on the Sunday. And if I am wrong about this...who really cares.

Second, I didn't tell you specifically what that question asked about LHINs. (Which I would tell you if really wanted to know...since I doubt they will be using the same questions from last year)

Guest professore76

dho, lighten up! Axolotl was just being helpful. I don't plan on preparing for the interview (i.e if i get one) other than reading up a little on some of the social/health/cultural/ economic issues relevant to Northern Ontario. The rest will be all me - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Question. Let's say i felt compelled to hug the admissions commmittee, would they think i was weird? Would some of them get offended? I'm an emotional man, what can i say!

Guest professore76

What is everyone planning to do if they don't get into medical school? I know for some people there are no alternatives, but i hope some of you are all planning ahead for the future.

Archived