Premed 101 Forums

The waiting game

Guest docormama

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest professore76

Excellent! Teaching is a very noble profession. I'm sure there's a shortage of eduators in Northern Ontario as well. You could teach in northern ontario for a while and then apply to study medicine. Teaching and medicine are not that disimilar. Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching...it's a great profession. Where do you plan to teach King? Northern Ontario?

Guest MedSchoolGirl2005

I applied to a bunch of things....PT, OT, chiro college, and grad school...in addition to med school.

I had an interview already for chiro and i'm not too keen on the PT OT thing...but i'll see how everything goes.

All I know is if I do get an interview to med...i will do my best to nail it....i was rejected last year pre-interview, so i'm cautiously optimistic this year....

Guest kingrad

hi professore,

i take it by your name that you are an educator too? lol

Yeah...I am currently applying to jobs up north. I am particularly interested in applying for a job on a reserve around james bay. The jobs for teaching around there are plenty....but believe it or not....its harder to find a job in an urban center like sudbury, north bay, or thunder bay as there seem to be no demand for teachers there. It would be far easier landing a job in a place like toronto compared to sudbury....because there are more retirements and new schools in toronto.

But yeah, I would like to work on a reserve to start and eventually stay in the north bay area if i could. But.....hoping on meds first!....just cant expect anything....the competition is tight.

Guest professore76

Yes, i'm an educator. Completed my training in Toronto, but i've been in graduate school for the past 6 years. This will be my first and last time applying to NOSM. We'll see how things go. Either way i'll still become a professor. I wish everyone the best of luck - and i hope you all get into medical school.

It's too bad that NOSM doesn't factor in a B.Ed into the wGPA. I wonder why? I know Ottawa (only if it was taken right after you undergaduate degree), Queen's and Mac factor it into the GPA. I think NOSM should do it as well.

Professore 76,

As you can see from my last post that I was only "asking" if it was okay to mention interview questions from past interviews. NOT that he/she shouldn't be.

So how bout you lighten up....

Guest professore76

I'd love to lighten up. Any suggestions? Atkins or South beach? On a lighter note, is it worth driving up to Sudbury or is it just easier to take the bus from Toronto?

Guest NurseNathalie

Prof.- guess it would depend on your comfort level with driving .. but you might want to consider driving up to Sudbury.

I do the trip every weekend, and it's a lot shorter than the bus ride ! plus, having your own wheels would give you a little more flexibility in terms of visiting Sudbury or simply not being at the mercy of the city bus/taxis to get to the interview itself .

I would recommend you drive up :)

um.. what if you interview in Thunder Bay ;)

Assuming that I interview, I was hoping that the admissions committee would allow me to go to Sudbury this time. I did TBay last year and it would be nice to see the other campus if it all works out.

Qu. are there flights/trains to sudbury from Toronto?

Guest docormama

Kingrad,

Are you from the North Bay area? If we get interview invites, would you be interested in maybe organizing/getting together for a practice or two?

Guest Matt66GT

Remember last year when you (those of you who did) went for your interview? You went in, filled out a few forms, language, choice of campus, and a confidentiality agreement????

That last one precludes you from discussing the topics and the questions themselves.....and axolotl I don't recall seeing anywhere a clause limiting a timetable on the confidentiality for those.

I signed that agreement and have decided to honour it. While the topics are helpful, it only provides a frame of reference which you can get with a little research.

Cheers

Guest professore76

How long is the drive to Sudbury from Toronto? 4 hours? There's no way i'm driving to Thunder Bay from Toronto. I'll have to fly assuming i get an interview of course. I'll use my super powers and fly there. LOL

Interview notices are mailed tomorrow? I hope everyone here is one of the lucky 400. It'll be fun putting a USER NAME to a FACE. I'll be the guy with the BOW TIE! LOL

if you break out the bow tie i will sport a nice top hat and a gentleman's walking stick.

does anyone know how much a flight up to sudbury would cost from london or toronto?

Guest Matt66GT

flights usually run 6-800 round trip depending on when you fly or how early you book, rare to get something cheaper.

4 hour drive depending on the roads - thunder bay is another 10 or 12 hrs depending on roads...

I'll have to fly assuming i get an interview of course.

Flights from TO - Suds for the interview weekend, if booked today:

depart 17th, return the 20th, reasonable departure times, Air Canada, $300 inc all taxes and charges.

TBay: just shy of $350. Again, Air Canada return from TO on same dates, inc all taxes/charges, reasonable departure times.

Maybe the days don't suit but that's an idea and there is plenty to select from. Westjet likely similar but I don't care to check.

Matt66GT - where in the name of all that's good and Northern are you're getting those numbers from???

As well, if you have ISIC, call Travel Cuts, *sometimes* they have killer deals, depends on availability. Rec. you book ASAP because Matt was right in pointing out that price goes up the later you wait.

cheers and good luck!

K

Guest professore76

Thanks. I'll book as soon as i get my letter. Are rejection letters in a differented coloured envelope than interview letters? If i get an interview i'm going have the letter copied onto a t-shirt and wear it to the interview. LOL

Let's all sing.....Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea and frolicked in the autumn mist.........

No letter....email notification. (i'm not sure with you prof but I can never tell if you are joking or not)....Good luck if its tomorrow people.

I just looked actually and still have my interview email from last year. Turns out that they were sent on Feb 10th 2005 ... exactly a year ago.

Guest 24medgirl

I'm confused!!! Why do you guys think we're going to get the e-mail today? Did someone speak to Admissions? I spoke with them last week and they said they were going to try to get them out by Feb 13th.

So it will definitely be an e-mail - not a letter. Will we get an e-mail even if we're rejected???

Eek! Now I'm nervous and I'm having a bad day - hopefully this will make me feel better, not worse.

T.

Guest Matt66GT

I fly all the time for work - always from Sudbury return......I never book more than 2-3 weeks in advance and I have never paid less than 600, it's a common thing with the plane crowd up here.

I know the cheapest flights come out wednesday at 1am, and if you don't stay at all or fly on off peak days you can get a deal.

350-400 you're stealing it if you can get it. More power to you.

24, your post from page one of this thread:

I spoke with Admissions on Friday and they said they are trying to have the invites/rejections mailed before or on Feb 13th.

with the other posts that last year NOSM sent email notification on the 10th of Feb last year for interviewees may have combined to the suggestion that they might get sent today, for this year...if Admissions says they want to have them out BY the 13th, well, friday the 10th looks pretty good to really eager people!!:P I took a look around and couldn't find any concrete and definitive indication that the emails WILL be sent today. I think your post was as absolutely as accurate as possible right now, and that the 13th is most likely the day (at the earliest).

cheers!

K

Guest kingrad

docormama,

Yeah, I currently live in North Bay....Im attending Nipissing U. Are you from the area?....I would love to get together for practice interviewing. Ive went to MMI practice sessions last year and got a lot from it. I would do it again for sure.

So...if there is anyone else in the north bay area and who gets an invite......we should all plan a day to get together. Lets wait and see...and then we can decide.

Guest professore76

E-mail notification works for me. Kidha, i'm joking except when i wish everyone goodluck. Flights to Sudbury are expensive! I can fly to Mexico for 600 CDN. I guess i'm driving. I guess e-mail notificationw ill be sent Monday. Have a restful weekend everyone.

Guest NurseNathalie

Kingrad,

I'm very pleased to hear that you found last year's session helpful ! phewww ! :)

last year, the email came before the letter... I beleive on a Friday?

Good luck to every applicant!

Nathalie.

Archived