Premed 101 Forums

Question for current med students

Guest hickfromsticks

Guest hickfromsticks

Hey guys,

School has been in for a couple of months now, and I'm sure the charter class at NOSM has had a chance to get to know one another. As such, I feel that it is finally time to ask the question again: Where is everybody in MEDS 09 from?

This question was posted just after offers of admissions had went out, but it seemed that everyone who got in was from Northern Ontario. As my username implies, I am from a rural area, and I would love to attend NOSM because I have heard that it is a great school and also because of the small class sizes... but do I have much of a chance because I didn't grow up in the north?

Thanks,

hickfromsticks

Guest opiedog

It's worth the shot to try, no matter where you are from. We have people from all over in our class, and a few from out of province. The class really seems to appreciate everyones diversity, it adds a totally diffeent perspective to our education. One of the big deciding factors for these people was that they grew up and were educated in a small town, not necessarily from the north.

I believe what everyone was able to convey on their applications though, and what made them stand out when reviewers were sifting through the 2000+ applicants, was that they have a desire to live and work in the north. In expressing that desire, you somehow need to relay that you also understand what working in the north will be like (it won't be a peice of cake in some of the more remote areas).

Of course, once you graduate, you would be able to work anywhere you like. But they are seriously seeking out people who are likely to chase after the dream of being a "country doctor".

Archived