Premed 101 Forums

NOSM School Submission - Questions #1 - Languages

Guest 24medgirl

Guest 24medgirl

Hello all,

Hope everyone's application is coming along well!

Just a quick question - in the NOSM School Submission - Question #1 - Languages they ask - Language of Instruction from Grades 1-8 - now I did full french immersion all the way through school so I chose French and then English for Grade 9-Graduation because we did speak more English then.

Is this ok?

Guest NurseNathalie

24medgirl,

yes, I beleive that you are right in how you are filling out this part of the application...if you were in a french immersion program until grade 8 (where the education was offerered in the french language), then your first choice for 'language of instruction from grade 1-8' would be 'french'.

if you feel that you were educated mostly in English in highschool, then I would agree that you would list English as the language of instruction 'from grade 9 to grad'.

the section you are speaking of has nothing to do with the francophone designation... it is true that one of the first parts of question 1 asks you to voluntarily declare yourself into one of the specialized streams if you wish, but that is a totally different question than what languages you were educated in...

You may know how to speak french, without being 'fluent' enough to go into the francophone stream (or meet all their criteria for designation), but still- its a language that you have knowledge of.. so you put it down.

:)

Guest 24medgirl

Thanks NurseNatalie. Makes sense. I definitely am not claiming to be francophone as I'm not - but I am fluently bilingual and I would like that to be portrayed somewhere in the app.

:)

Guest NurseNathalie

Oh! I know! I was simply trying to clarify one of the above statements equating the language of instructions to the francophone designation criteria :)

and I also beleive its really important for you to state the fact you know more than one language! not only is it something to be proud of, it is something special you have to offer

Good luck in your application everyone!

Guest NurseNathalie

I'm sorry that you felt you needed to remove your previous info about the francophone designation.. it was really useful info, and its not always that easy for people to find it...

I think it doesn't help that this first NOSM question asks soooo many different things! lol.. should be called SECTION instead of QUESTION ;)

Archived