Premed 101 Forums

Pre- MCAT biology courses?

Guest clinicalchief

Guest clinicalchief

I have heard that upper level biology courses are not needed to write the mcat. So which ones, especially at memorial would be to my advantage to take? I took the first bio course, plant biology, but due to a lack I interest I did not take the 2nd semester course. I plan of taking an intro biochem course next year. Just how much biology do I need to know?

Thanks, Mike.

Guest Ian Wong

Useful courses might include a Physiology course and another on Genetics. What you may want to do is pick up an MCAT prep book at the bookstore, and figure out from the sample tests and outlines which Bio areas you are weakest in. Then figure out whether you feel comfortable learning that material on your own, or whether you should devote a course to it.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ramse2002

The courses you take are about the same as you would take to prepare for any other med school. Things such as immunology, physiology, anatomy, genetics would be nice to have as background for the med courses you will be taking. But they aren't really needed since alot of my classmates haven't taken some of those courses before and they are doing fine.

Archived