Premed 101 Forums

Meeting with Admissions

Guest Innerlogic

Guest Innerlogic

Hey all.

I'm a 3rd year student hoping to get into med school at MUN in the near future (I'm from NF but going to school in NS)

I've arranged a meeting with one of the admissions officers (Janet McHugh) and was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on questions to ask her or things to discuss with her.

Since I live about 5 hours away from the university, this may be my only chance to talk to someone in the admissions department, so I was to make sure I do it right!

Guest clinicalchief

You should discuss / ask about anything that will be considered, ie. your application. (I'm assuming your meeting with her to just make sure your on the right track?) By now you should have most of your criteria established (gpa, mcat scores, ec's, research and lor's). See what she thinks of all those things plus any outstanding issues or problems you may have as an individual. Are you applying as OOP? In that case you should ask her about anything that may affect your chances as an oop applicant. Hope this helps.

Guest Innerlogic

I'm applying as a Newfoundland resident

research is basically non-existant for me. I'm a psychology major, and so far (just finished 2nd year) no research opportunities have been available to me at school, and the hospital in my home town doesn't accept any students (volunteer or paid)

As for lor's...I have no idea what you mean by that

Guest clinicalchief

I thought you were finished your third year, but since you are finished second year, you still have plenty of time for the things I mentioned. I find it hard to believe that the hospital doesn't accept volunteers. Are there any other outside clinics, shelters etc. that are an option? Remember, it's good to have clinical experience, but not required. Do something that you like, you just have to be able to show that you can handle things outside of school, and that you enjoy working with people. I volunteer at the HSC and also with the St. John Ambulance brigade as a first aider, I'd recommend looking into that. Wether or not you know if you are interested in research, you can find out by volunteering in a lab if you can't get a paid position. They are competitive to get but you could always offer to clean glasswear etc. with the hopes of getting some experience, chance at a higher position, or a solid reference.

Guest Innerlogic

Ah yes....that would make sense.

As of right now, I have no letters of reference. I'm going into my 3rd year this September and will be working closely with some members of the faculty on my thesis and whatnot (so the plan is to wait until I can get some good references from them).

Guest Innerlogic

I spoke with the director of health operations at my local hospital, and he told me that there was basically nothing within the hospital that they could do for me. Outside of the hospital, I've spent time volunteering at a senior citizens complex and also at the Red Cross' blood bank here in town (I live in Grand Falls-Windsor). Sadly this town has almost NOTHING to offer in the way of health care volunteer positions in comparison to the St.Johns area. Such is life in small town Newfoundland I guess.

Unfortunately I'm a psychology major, which is a faculty that doesn't lend itself to laboratories. Then again, since I've taken several chemistry courses, maybe they'll let me do something for them next year if I beg and plead.

To explain why I'm replying so freakishly fast, my appointment is for tomorrow, so I'm frantically trying to think of how to go about this whole thing. I really appreciate all of this help!

Guest clinicalchief

No prob. But don't get too concerned about your appointment, I mean she is there to help you, it isn't an interview or anything. Besides, if you have any questions later on you can always call or email the school and use this board. In the mean time, write down any questions you have so you will remember them tommorow. If you have anything else you want to ask, just post here, otherwise, good luck!

Archived