Premed 101 Forums

Rejection feedback sessions

Guest red

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sparkle

I had my feedback session last week. I was really looking forward to some severe critism (the worst, the better) so that I can improve...but all I basically got was a verbal repeat of my rejection letter: "this score was low, this score was high, this score was okay" and most of the answers to my qusetions were "mmm hmm, maybe, no, i think, mmhmm, yes, i don't think so, i guess, let me check, mmm, etc."

I guess I don't have must help to give...sorry...wish I did. Although what I got out of it (it wasn't explictly told to me) but for your non-academic list, be very very clear on exactly what it is that you do, my gut feeling is that if you aren't clear, they may just skim right over it and you won't get any credit for it!

Guest sparkle

One more thing: Since MCAT averages were so high this year, I asked if MCAT scores were weighed more heavily than previous years and the reply I got was: "Yeah, <shrug>, they are, huh?" I'm not very good at reading between the lines, does anyone know what that response means?

Guest physiology

Hey Sparkle,

Hmm..Canadian medical schools sure seem to be shirking their responsibility when it comes to giving constructive feedback. I just got my file review from Calgary today and it was a restatement of how only 15% of spots go to OOP, and that there are several categories used in assessing interview eligibility..blah blah blah....

I'm sorry to hear this.

Regarding the MCAT issue, I don't think that they would lie about the supposed "5%" that it's worth. It is scary how high they were. Personally, I was below or at average in all of the sections except for the writing sample.

However, what they DON'T tell you is the huge weight that the interview, reference letters, and I believe, the autobiographical essay, carry.

Guest Jazz

I actually feel a little uneasy with schools telling applicants exactly how the marking scheme is set up. Shouldn't students just do whatever interests them as oppose to going "ok, I need to do X to maximize my "working with others" score, but my "community service" score is high enough, so I'll just stop doing Y."

I've been to a rejection feedback meeting, it did offered some closure and encouragement to try again, although seeing my interview scores were upsetting at the time.

Guest coastal79

The interesting thing with the MCAT, is that very few people who have been accepted and posted on this forum actually meet the averages! The 3 main section average they claim was 37.1.....I kinda doubt it.

Guest northpole

Hi there

Shouldn't students just do whatever interests them as oppose to going "ok, I need to do X to maximize my "working with others" score, but my "community service" score is high enough, so I'll just stop doing Y."

This is a really good point. Last year when I was trying to think of ways to beef up my application (I was accepted this year to UBC, was rejected without interview last year) I felt that I "should" be doing this or that, rather than doing what I really wanted to do....

I then talked to a fellow who was in 3rd year med at UBC about what I could do to expand my extracurricular experience-- the most concrete advice he gave me was to really do what I wanted, but that if I was interested, volunteering with a high-needs population or at a long-term care facility would be regarded highly. So I volunteered at the Dr. Peter Centre in Vancouver (residential and day programs for people living with HIV/AIDS). It was a wonderful experience and was also something I was interested in doing...

I think there's something to be said for having good experience with patients-- one to one contact. But again, it should be an activity you want to do!

Don't get bogged down about those MCAT scores-- I still really don't think they mean that much.

All the best!:)

Guest physiology

Hey Northpole,

I volunteer at the Dr. Peter Centre as well. I bet you know me.

I'll private message you.

Tigerman also volunteers there.

Guest northpole

Wow physiology!

Perhaps there's something to be said about volunteering at the DPC! That's 3 of us who have volunteered there and were accepted to UBC this year!

Anyhow, I sent you a private message just saying hi.

And hello tigerman-- are you a day program or resident volunteer?

I volunteered until last October in the resident program (only saw the new building a few times-- it's sooooo much better there, eh?!)

:)

Guest sparkle

Northpole, Jazz,

I really have to agree with the both of you. It is so important to do what you really enjoy and not just for med school purposes. Ultimately, you are the one that benefits from what you do during your spare time and if you try to fool anyone, you're only going to be fooling yourself.

On another note, for those of you totally having fun at what you are doing, your enthusiasm will show when you talk about it at your interview and THAT is what they're looking for :)

Sparkle

Guest physiology

Hello Sparkle,

I totally agree. With my volunteer organization, I've been able to join a leadership group, write essays/poems (and win money for them!), do public speaking on their behalf, MC events, and man booths. So I mean from that one seed, it has sprouted and grown significantly multi-fold.

And all of these were listed SEPARATELY on my EC sheet.

Anyway, good luck to ya!

So I went to my feedback session and really didn't come out with anything I didn't already know in terms of how their selection process works. But only two things were what drew red flags 1) My one low VR MCAT mark (strange considering others got in with the same or one point higher) and 2) one red flag in what one of my refs said- even though when they phoned him he clarified and everything was hunky dory. So, even though I have an extremely strong academic and non-academic score it all came down to that one MCAT mark. I really don't know what to do about this as I know that people with low academics got in because they showed academic prowess on the MCAT. Why does it NOT work the other way when I have 20 years of academic acheivements but one low MCAT score ??? I'm going to phone them back I think...Any suggestions?

Guest Makunouchi

I had mine. Was wondering if I could get some insight into the poor interview score... but nothing helped... they had comments that were written by the panel - and all of mine were positive. But the scores weren't. I forgot to ask them to double-check the scores (as if they haven't already anyways).

To echo the comments just made, of course it's better to do EC activities that you enjoy. I don't think you should force change to fit the criteria of a university.

go in there with a list of specific questions... so that you don't forget!

g'luck!

it seems that i have the reverse problem (compared to a majority of other applicants.) I was happy to see that i score 5/5 for every single catergory on the interview (with glowing remarks:p ). 25/25 for interview and got an adjusted score of 91%. My extra curric. 25/25 too and got an adjusted value of 22. ;) My reviewer told me it was due to my low prereq. marks and all i have to do is to improve my prereq gpa. I guess either having too stellar a gpa or too stellar a EC profile/interview wouldn't get you in. Aim for the middle in everything :P that's what wellrounded mean i guess.... j/k.

urgh... the thought of joining 1st year students for english is a little unsettling. i'd be so old ( few more years and i'd be old enough to be their parents) :evil . oh well... que sera sera.

tea.

ps. yeah, i agree with what other posters have said. Volunteer with the activity you enjoy, and not for the purpose of gaining admittance to med school; ('cuz it stick out on the EC and interview like a sore thumb!!! )

Guest soapyslicer

Hi tea,

Those are pretty impressive marks. I don't think you need help with anything!!! Look at going to class with some younger students as a big advantage. Many of them are just out of highschool and experiencing spreading their wings. With just a little work you can look like a real keener(I should know, when I did mine I WAS old enough to be their mom). Didn't hurt that my teacher was approximately the same age as me.

I think you will find going back to a low level course will be much easier than you think. Do your pre-req's fall into the 10 year rule? If not, be careful. I think there are rules on retaking pre-req's.

soapy

Guest Makunouchi

Hi tea,

That is unacceptable! Why would they even put you through the interview process and shoot you down due to the low pre-req marks. It is obvious from your non-academic scores that you are more than qualified.

If they invited you for an interview, then there must have been something they were looking for that would make an exception to the low pre-req mark. And judging by your EC and interview scores, I would make that exception and let you in.

good luck with the rest of your journey!

thanks Makunouchi, soapy...

apparently, my overall and last 60 and mcat were ok:) and hence an invitation to the interview. Perhaps, having such a glowing report from the interview, ec would paint me as unreal?? i don't know. i'm guessing. Who knows how the process works. Frankly, i don't think it's as simple as having a low prereq. But, definitely i will retry again next year.

Soapy, my english prereq was done 12 years ago, when i was just finishing ESL and having to take English lit. Yikes. Still bring back horror. I can tell you my least favorite author right now... Shakespear!! He totally destroyed every grammar rules i've learnt in ESL. sheesh!!

tea.

Guest shrimp

tea,

You were an ESL 12 years ago. How is your oral English now? Seven yrs ago I immigrated to Canada but now my oral English is still not as good as English native speaker. :\

still has a bit of an accent. Sad, but i can express myself best with a mixture of 2 languages, especially at a dimsum table. :lol

Guest Dunes

I had the similar experience to tea. I had 23/25 (92%) on the interview which was scaled down to 82%, and an EC score of 21 which was scaled down to 17! And the scaling depends on the "applicant pool", so my mark could change next year (even if I used the exact same application!).

The thing that brought me down was my cGPA, pre-requ. avg, and my MCATs (academics)!! It is disaapointing, but at least one can say that I can improve them (except for that pre-req. avg!) I did my pre-reqs when I first came to Canada 7 years ago (not even had an ESL course!) and it is ruining my chances now. I asked if we can take the pre-reqs. again, but the answer was "No". I guess that one can wait for the 10 year rule to apply ;) All I can do now is improve the rest (and of course try to get 25/25 in both the interview and ECs next time:p )

I thought that it was nice of them to actually print out a section of our evaluation to give to us. It really saved me asking for it :)

Overall, I thought the session was useful this year.

Dunes

Tea- Apparently UBC does a first round screening to offer interviews. Then post-interview, they re-mark all of the pre-interview marks. This is information I received from Dr. Frinton at the interview weekend information session.

As an applicant gets closer to admission, the comb gets finer and certain flags may stand out a little more. So, it's possible that your earlier marks got you into the interview but upon review, for some reason, they were no longer deemed as strong. Your stats look formidable though. I can't imagine that you'll have to hold out for much longer. Good luck.

hi Lex,

I don't mean to be a sour grape nor am i complaining. I'd just want to share my thinking and experience.

there wasn't any indications that the application (academics)was re-evaluate post interview (well at least i couldn't see it anyway). From what i remember Dr. Frinton said it was something to this extent: "if you've received an invitation invite, you're strong enough academically. It's the interview that will bring "creme de la creme" to the top." I've maxed out on the interview score.. 25/25. I can't do any better than that. So, by the virtue of having that panel of interviewers, it appears that my fate's been predetermined. Similarly, my EC scores have been maxed out too. So the truth is that, like it or not, admission is weighted more heavily on academics than what UBC has expressed. For example, if two applicants with an overall file review of 40; one with 22/25 EC and 18/25 Academics, and one with 22/25 academics and 18/25 EC, then UBC adcom will pick the latter.

what do you think?

tea.

Guest physiology

Hey Dunes,

Why were your scores scaled down?

And Tea,

Is the interview out of 25 now? I thought it was out of /100

I mean, percent wise, it doesn't really matter.

I just thought that perhaps, our scores were out of 150 or something (50 for academics, and non-academics, and 100 for the interview, thus giving it tremendous weight in comparison to the other two).

All in all, I still think the admissions process is very mysterious. The numbers in your case just don't add up (ie, why weren't you accepted).

hey physio.

the score's scaled down 'cuz you may have a "generous panel" where they marked high; hence my comment about my fate's been sealed by the virtue of my panel. I mean with my panel, the max score out of a 100 i can get is 91 or 92/100. I admit it is difficult to fairly assess all applicants. Admission is more or less a game of chance.

tea.

Archived