Premed 101 Forums

budgeting

Guest nby

During the first two years you can apparently get away without a car, but there are still rural placements in there, what time of year are they? Basically, I am wondering if its possible to make sure you stay in St John's during the snowy months in the 4 years (or first 2) so you can get by with a motorcycle, which is much cheaper to insure?

also, what's the tuition estimate at mun?

Guest stevetilley

nby... congrats on getting in!!

I've got an exam this week so I'll be to the point...

Tuition is currently $6500 a year, and that may or may not increase in the years ahead.

Rural placements:

1st year: mid March

2nd year:late May

You also have to do a 1-month rural family medicine visit during 3rd year.

You CAN get by the 1st 2 years without wheels... however, its a total pain in the ass. I know of one guy in my class that doesn't have a car, and how he does it I do not know!?!

For clerkship (years 3-4), you'd be crazy not to have a car.

Also, you can't rely on motorcycle in St.John's for reliable transportation. We can easily have snow from November - April, in which case you could use it for about 3-4 months during the school year. What's the point of that??

If cash is a concern, I'd recommend buying a reliable beater car (like and old civic), and just putting liability insurance on it. That'd what I did during my 2nd year of undergrad, and it worked out fine. Even if you wreck the car or if its stolen (but noone steals beaters), you can replace it for $1000-2000, so its not that big of a deal. (BTW, as you'll soon learn, banks are more than willing to give you a line of credit for all your expenses during med school.)

Cheers,

Steve

Guest stevetilley

Vidhath,

I remember your name from back then!! Can you believe that was 6 years ago?!

I'm assuming your still in undergrad?? Looking at med school?

If you have any questions about med school or anything else, drop me an email steve_tilley@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Steve

Guest Vidhath

Hey Steve

Ya... doesnt seem like near that long ago at all...

I'm just finishing up my undergrad degree now.

I'm procrastinating from writing up my honors thesis right this moment.

I actually just got accepted into Memorial last week. What year are you in?

Do you use msn by chance?

Vidhath

• 2 weeks later...

Archived