Premed 101 Forums

Still no OOPs?

Guest ttryit

Hey there,

I keep trying to recieve the MUN med office to inquire about my application, but I keep getting the same response i.e the invite will continue to be sent out until March. This is quite frustrating when you are an OOP and need to look into booking a ticket and what not.

I have yet to hear anything from Mun by mail, so I am feel there might still be some hope.

Would you mind posting your stats? Would love to know what it takes to get an interview at Memorial?

Thanks,

Rome

Guest MedAnxiety

Hey Rome1, hopefully you'll hear something soon...damn aggravating applying for med when all the schools take so long with everything :o

My stats were:

GPA: 3.92 (OMSAS)

MCAT: VR/BS/PS/WS - 9/12/13/Q

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lolaloo

I think it is in the range of 40 to 50 people for OOP, I read it on a post from last year so I am not exactly sure how accurate the information is. I tried to find out how many people were invited for interviews this year but the admissions group is being tight lipped. Perhaps they are not finished the invites yet so it might be they really don't have an answer yet :P

Hey MedAnxiety,

I think everyone still has such a great chance even if it is 40-50 for only 4 spots. IF you were able to get interview as OOP, you probably were also able to some a few Ontario interviews. i am sure half the OOP people will reject MUN for another acceptance, in that case, I am sure the waitlist will move through pretty fast. So keep thinking postive!

I have yet to get a letter from MUN, pretty sure I should be accepting a rejection letter by now!

Guest Apraxis

Hi everyone! I've been reading the posts on this forum for a few days and finally registered so I can join the discussion.

I'm an OOP applicant as well, and I haven't heard anything yet either. I called the MUN Admissions Office and was told that if we are selected for an interview, we will receive a phone call. I assume an interview package will be sent out once we confirm an interview date.

I was told that OOP applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted in the next three weeks.

Just thought I'd add my $0.02.

Alas, there's another thread stating this very fact...

Hey Apraxis,

I found it frustrating speaking to the office admin at MUN cause they were pretty strict on how much they were willing to let out! After calling a few times, and getting the same stint, I have decided to let nature take its course and wait for a phonecall...

Good to see that there are still others waiting for MUN!

Guest Apraxis

Hi Rome -

I was getting a bit annoyed at the tight-lipped responses I received from the MUN Admissions Office as well, which is why I e-mailed Christie King a few days ago. She let me know that I was misinformed by someone in the office, and that we'll be receiving letters in the mail.

This may mean we've been rejected pre-interview because some people have received phone calls prior to receiving a letter. I guess we'll find out by mid-March.

Guest stevetilley

I'm not sure exactly how many spots they are allocating this year to OOP residents.

In my year (2nd year class) there is only 1 OOP student. In the 1st year class I believe there are 2 or 3 OOPs (but I could easily be mistaken).

Good luck everyone!!

Cheers,

Steve

Guest MedAnxiety

Hi Stevetilley, do you know what the average MCAT/GPA is required for OOP...

Also, do you know the weighting of each criteria for acceptance?

Thanks!

Guest stevetilley

Sorry I don't have any answers from you. However, I did hear a rumor of one OOP who was accepted had EXCEPTIONALLY high stats. (not to scare anyone!!) This person also apparently recieved acceptances from some of the ontario schools but decided to come to Memorial.

As for the weighting of criteria, it seems to be a bit of a black box that noone can figure out!!

Cheers,

Steve

Hey Steve,

Any ideas on whether interviews for OOPs have started? I know on the website it says interviews will be conducted until March 2005. Hope you might have some specifics!

Guest Douje Dog

Hey all, as far as I know, they're haven't been any OOP interviews yet. The nb'ers were 3 and 4 weeks ago, NF the last 2 weekends, and as I would imagine there are some OOP interviews this week, and probably the one after too. Maybe even more, who knows.

In my class, there are 4 OOPs I believe. I don't know the exact stats that they had on getting in, sorry. Doug.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MedAnxiety

sorry chowchilla, I read your questio wrong. I'm not too sure what the OOP GPA is...but judging by last year, there was someone with a 3.96 GPA and was wait listed. So I'm assuming the Interview is worth a decent amount since that is an incredible GPA.

Archived