Premed 101 Forums

Micb 202

Guest myllion

Guest myllion

I'm planning my Year 2 schedule now, keeping in mind the MCAT I'm going to take next summer. I was wondering if Micb 202 helps with the MCAT - or if taking Biol 200, 201 would cover all the biology basics I need. Thanks.

Guest mitchie41

Yes. MiCB 202 does help a bit for the MCAT because Virology, Microbiology, and Immunology are topics that are covered(And people generally do well in it, so it's a course that you can get a great grade in as well).

I think that BIOL 200 is really useful too, becuase it teaches you everything you need to know about eukaryotic cell bio. I didn't take biol 201, so I don't know if it would help you or not, but topics like metabolism are on the MCAT, so it's probably a useful course to take.

But I think you can do well on the MCAT even without any of these courses if you have a good prep-book because the vast majority of the MCAT biological sciences section covers human physiology.

Hope that helps.

i think there are some stuff in micb202 that is covered on the mcat, but relative to other sections, its really small. i think biology 200 and 201 are more valuable. micb 202 is a good introductory course, and will help you get a feel for the topics mitchie mentioned.

that being said, prep books hone in specifically for you so you dont have to go sifting thru your course notes for the relevant topics, so these are far better.

kupo

Guest McCarey007

When I took MICB 202, it was a very interesting course. MICB 302, on the other hand, was not the most exciting course. There is something about memorizing signalling pathways that just put me to sleep. Ironically, one of my research projects turned out to be B cell signalling.

Anyways, you will find that all the courses you will be taking will go into much more depth than what the MCAT requires. Just the prep books will be enough...but it never hurts to know more.

Archived