Premed 101 Forums

First Aid Course

Guest kooty

Guest kooty

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if we had to take a first aid course before school starts. I was originally going to go to another school and they had it listed as a mandatory requirement...so I signed up for one. But now I'm going to UBC and the package says nothing about it...Can someone help me out here?

Thanks

Kooty

Guest dsDNA

Hi Kooty,

The school, or rather, someone typically in the 2nd year class organizes the CPR course. It is a mandatory requirement to hold CPR certfication, however, it doesn't really matter whether you take the course with the medical class or with an outside organization. Hope that helps.

Guest Pashmina

Hey dsDNA,

I didn't know that med students could take the course collectively. How'd you find out? Could you tell me how I can go about signing up? So far I've looked into courses offered by St. Johns but am still looking around.

Thx in advance.

Guest ubcpharmer

hey kooty

so is it confirmed that you are coming to ubc and if so up north or main campus? in terms of the first aid course, i have heard that it is highly recommended if not compulsory. the info should be available in the big registration packeages that will be sent early july

Guest Ian Wong

Hi there,

Each year, there's a setup where all the med students in your year can all get recertified in a single evening/afternoon/whatever. This trend started off a few years ago (I think it actually was a guy in my class who started arranging this). It's done so that everyone is assured of being licensed at the same time, and because it's done as a group deal, it usually ends up being cheaper for everyone, since you essentially call in several instructors, and borrow a large room at the Nurse's Residence by VGH (at least that's where we did ours). It's much less expensive that way than trying to arrange things on your own, and you're also working with your classmates.

If you haven't heard anything about it, I wouldn't worry, because it will assuredly be covered at some point during orientation in the fall. Of course, if you were going to take a CPR-certification course anyway this summer, then have at it. Unless the Faculty of Medicine has told you something different (ie. you must have it before starting orientation), I wouldn't worry about getting it right away. Most people in my class didn't have CPR certification when they started orientation in the fall.

Ian

Guest not rex morgan

Just to add to what Ian said, the group deals are not only cheaper, but it's alot of fun and a good way to get to know people in your class. We took the full course in our first year, and recert every year. It's generally a fun day. If you are thinking that the first couple of weekends back are going to be busy doing non-school activities, you may want to get it done in the summer, otherwise, I'd recommend waiting. Likewise, if you've signed up for a course already, you might as well do it. Otherwise, enjoy the summer and chalk it up to one less thing you need to worry about organising.

Archived