Premed 101 Forums

Advice please

Guest dddd

I'm planning on starting my studying for the MCAT soon, and I was hoping for some advice.

I was planning on buying the AAMC stuff, Kaplan review notes, as well as the Betz/Flowers guide. Does anyone know if all this type of stuff is carried at bookstores etc., or does all of it need ordered online from each individual place?

Also, I was wondering if this is enough prep material; ie is getting Princeton or Berkley review notes in addition to the Kaplan ones just a waste of time? Thanks.

Guest bad hombre

hey,

if you're still in school and planning to write the august mcat (i'm just assuming you're a typical canadian), i wouldn't start studying for the mcat until may. why?

your GPA is much more important at this stage, as are extra currics. you'd probably end up forgetting a lot of the stuff you start reviewing right now. maximize your time by doing your undergrad/having fun right now and studying hardcore during the summer. you can start speed reading quality newspapers and mags right now to help you with verbal.

as for review materials, i think one book should be fine. kaplan and gold standard are good. use the aamc materials as well.

oh yeah, and try to get the stuff from people who've written the mcat already. you'll save a ton of cash.

The most recent AAMC tests (V and VI) are the best indicators of how you will do on the actual MCAT. Make sure that you get your hands on them somehow and try them - preferably close to the end of your studying so that they give you a true indication of how you are doing.

I would agree that it is extremely early to start studying for the MCAT - even if you are planning to write the April version.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the Kaplan review is the same as the Princeton review which is the same as....etc. Is it all essentially the same stuff, just from different companies?

Guest bad hombre

They all have basically the same content. Like if you knew all the stuff in any of those books, you would ace the mcat for sure. Look around and see which book's format you find the most comfortable.

• 1 month later...
Guest macdaddyeh

I know it is early to think about the MCAT. I am from a typically "social science" background, and have a kick-!@# GPA (so no arts student jokes please). I have taken MANY science courses as well, but they are typically environmental science (NOT to be confused with environmental studies). I have never studies chemistry or physics or mathematics in university although I have looked at a combination of these subjects in environmental science, economics etc.

Knowing this, can anyone out there tell me how I might fare on the MCAT having NO chemistry or physics or math background (at least not at the UNIversity level). Will I totally bomb it? Does anyone know anyone else who is in a similar situation? I do well at individual study and am willing to work hard at doing AAMC practice tests, asking med school friends for help, doing lots of solo studying etc. Is it worth a try, or MUST I really enroll in a chemistry course before my university career finishes (in about 8 months). I also ask this because I know many universities have NO or few prereqs. (ie, Dal, Mac, Calgary, Memorial).

Thanks for any input

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there macdaddyeh,

I think you'd feel a lot more comfortable taking the MCAT, and chances are your science-section scores will be higher, if you have the knowledge that's typically taught in first year physics and chemistry courses by the time that you go into the exam. Aside from basic operations including a good level of comfort in manipulating logs and exponents (essential for tackling the physics and chemistry questions, as they love to catch you out with niggly exponents, there), you don't need a math degree to do well on the MCAT--not even close. Essentially, the physics and chemistry that you need to know is well covered in a typical set of first year courses. For example, at UofT, CHM139H's syllabus reads like Princeton Review's general chemistry section of their physical sciences review book. Also, although the 2003 iterations of the MCAT will be less organic chemistry-intensive, you'll still need to cover the range of intro orgo topics including the hydrocarbon chemistry and reactions and the carbonyl reactions.

That being said, given your environmental science background, you might encounter a few passages within practice tests and the real exam itself, that will please you. I took a third year environmental chemistry class last year and was amazed at how well that knowledge served me during the MCAT. In quite a few practice tests and even in the real thing, passages were incorporated that dealt with heavy metal, ozone, oxygen radical and sulfur/nitrogen chemistry--all topics that are elemental to the environmental sciences.

A wise investment for you at the moment may be to spend the $10US and gain 30-day access to the on-line MCAT exams offered by AMCAS on their website. That will help to give you an idea of what to expect in terms of the types of material that you may see next year. Alternatively, nip down to your local Chapters or Indigo, grab a comfy seat and a stack of MCAT books and have a gander.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest macdaddyeh

OK. Kirsteen, my only fear in doing that is a) bombing a chemistry course and B) that I won't have time to do it. I have two kids. I will also be a fellow U of T graduate shortly. Don't get me wrong that I can't do it; I simply cannot afford to destroy the coveted GPA I have worked so hard to achieve..3.7 (soon to be a 3.8 likely because I had an incredible semester). Any other advice re. taking or not taking chem or physics?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

If you're afraid of scuttling your average then why not audit the course, or if time is of the essence (and it sounds like for you (with two kids) it certainly may be) grab the recommended textbook and go from there? Here's the official UofT course website for CHM139--all the details re: syllabus, textbook, etc., are contained therein:

www.chem.utoronto.ca/cour...s/CHM139H/

By hook or by crook you're going to need at least some chemistry and physics knowledge if you'd like to score decently on the MCAT without defying the odds and depending solely on luck. Since there are many different ways of acquiring that knowledge (self-teaching, taking/auditing courses in the subject(s), MCAT review courses) you just have to find the mode that fits your learning style and lifestyle best.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived