Premed 101 Forums

rewrite or not

Guest km

Guest YongQ

km, it depends which schools you're applying to. If you're planning on only applying to U of T, you're fine, although applying to one school is dangerous for your chances. Almost any other school in Canada (UBC and Queens for example) would reject you based on their cutoffs. Any school in the states would almost definitely reject you, as MCATs are taken most seriously as an admissions criterion. I think you should rewrite it. If you were a little unprepared for it the first time (as evidenced by your score), you probably have a good idea of what it's like now and can do much better. Everybody's different, but I'd say 99% of people are fully capable of getting 30+ on the MCAT with proper preparation. Applying to just a few schools because of a low MCAT is pretty risky, no one regardless of credentials is guaranteed to be successful at any one school.

Guest Akane200

I would rewrite it. I don't see what's the risk at all with such scores (I'm really not trying to be mean, but you know that they are not very competitive except for R, but that's just better for western).

Although U of T has 8 as minimum, your chances are still pretty risky since there are always so many people who apply. Also, I still feel that it reflects well on you if you do well on MCAT. U of T says that they use the MCAT as a flagging marker if you do fall below this.

I know that U of T has made exceptions for those who fall below 8 in verbal (I know 2 cases), but in each of those cases, the applicants had double digits in the sciences, and an adequate writing sample score too. But those people were also excellent well rounded individuals with stunning applications in addition to the MCAT scores.

So just remember that although you feel that it's probably the most important test you will ever write in your life (before you write it); afterwards, you will realize that it only makes up a small chunk of your overall application.

Good luck!

Guest Ian Wong

I gotta go with the re-write. As it stands, your MCAT score is a real barrier to your med school application (although it actually is above the UBC MCAT cut-off). Study hard, do plenty of practice exams, and really try to pump that score up a few points in each section. Right now, I think your options are a bit too limited, and each year that you put it off (in the hopes of getting into U of T), will make that basic science knowledge that much more distant and difficult to refresh in your memory.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Thanks for the advice guys. I interviewed at u of t this year and got waitlisted. I also interviewd at mac with no luck. I was just worried that if I did worse I would screw myself out of a shot a To again...

Also, I am not working so I would have lots of free time to study, but I would just be starting now. Do you think that it is enough time?

Guest Guest

Hey all,

with all the advice being thrown around I thought I would get your opinion on whether or not I should rewrite. I am satisfied with my score but I feel I could improve: V - 10, B - 10, P - 13, WS - Q. I met all the cutoffs, but I am still thinking that if I brought the scores up a bit that it would help. Is it worth the risk? Do schools look at the most recent or the best? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Guest JSS02

I don't know which schools in Canada actually count the MCAT once you reach the cutoff... I think there are very few of them. Western would be one of them (the others in Ontario definitely do not). I think Manitoba as well, but that's about it. Your score is certainly high enough for any school, so unless you really want to go the extra mile to get into one of the schools I listed above, don't rewrite... it's just too risky.

Guest Sadiya

I had very similar scores to yours (VR 10, B 12, P 10, WS Q) and I got into Queens in my first shot...I wouldn't risk it unless you REALLY want to go to Western (b/c they use VR and WS as 25% of your composite score to determine if you get in). I had the same dilemma when I got my scores and opted not to write it and it did not affect my admissions. It's your call though :)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest,

For you, I wouldn't re-write it. Unlike the States, where the MCAT is really rated quite highly due to the immense number and variability between colleges and universities, in Canada for most schools the MCAT is more of a flag. There are exceptions; I think Manitoba weights the MCAT around 40% if my memory is working. Therefore, for most Canadian med schools, once you hit the cut-offs, it's better to stand pat, rather than risk a poor re-write. Don't forget that the time you would spend on a re-write also takes away that amount of time for improving other aspects of your application, or just plain relaxing and having some fun.

Sadiya, are you going into Queens Med this fall, or are you a current med student?

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Ian Wong

Hey, that's awesome! :hat

I just wanted to ask you something, in that I've got a project that can really use your help. Could you please e-mail me at your convenience? mdpremie@yahoo.com

I hope you're taking this summer off and relaxing a bit after all that admissions hoop-jumping!

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived